Early '50s Hercules Aston Club restoration

nonowt

rBotM Winner
Apologies for the slight crossover with my earlier post in the Retro Road Classics section but now this a Reader’s Road Bike - I thought I’d start a restore/build thread for interest and advice.

After some serious umming and ahing I rescued this early '50s Hercules "Aston Club" from outside Relics junkshop in rainy Glasgow. It's "Guaranteed Built with Reynolds 531 Frame Tubes" i.e. 3 tubes plain gauge 531. So, not at all high-end but not without charm or worth either.

A big of googling as studying the VCC catalogue scans revealed it to be from around 1953-5 and to be very near original (everything Hercules made) spec. The Aston Club model seems to have short lived – taking over from the “Kestrel Club” and ending in ’56 when it was replaced by the “Kestrel Senior Club.” In ’56 owners Tube Investments combined Hercules with Norman, Phillips, and Sun to form the British Cycle Corporation and laid-off a whole load of Hercules staff and greatly reduced the number of models produced. (see: I didn’t google in vain!).

Once I'd carried it through the Botanic Gardens and back to my Mother-in-laws (who we were visiting) I wondered what the hell I was going to do with it :shock: . In the immediate that meant a quick rub over with WD40 which revealed that the Flamboyant Magenta paintwork was still surprisingly flamboyant and a lot of what had looked like surface rust was in fact ancient grease (It must’ve been well smeared before being stored). Happily WD40 also got the seat post moving freely. Before catching the train back to London, I managed to persuade my Mother-in-law to let me store it on top of a spare-room wardrobe until we return to Glasgow at Christmas rather than the very damp stone built garden shed. :xmas-big-grin:

Here are the obvious issues so far:

I’m missing a track nut from front wheel - what thread? The existing front nut fits the front wheel of my wife’s Raleigh built 3-speed so it must be fairly standard - 3/8? 5/16?

Brakes: The original brakes have a double-nippled cables which I imagine would be near impossible to source, the front cable has snapped and looking at the brakes doesn’t fill me with confidence! So I was thinking of replacing them with some suitable GB or maybe even some early-ish Mafacs Racers? Any other options?

The rear hub has flip/flop threading – at present one side has a fixed sprocket and the other is just bare thread. I was thinking of put a single-speed Freewheel – I’m guessing it’ll need some spacers to get the chain-line right. I think I was probably designed to run fixed/4 speed (?)…. I’m trying to keep a grip on the costs so I’m hoping to steer clear of gears.

Missing pedal. The non-drives side had a quill pedal and toe-clip but the drive side pedal is long gone. As the look of quill pedals have hardly change in style since the bike was made I to fit a cheap second hand pair (pm me if you have something suitable!)

Missing front “Bantel” mudguard. For now I’ll just remove the back one and store it. If a suitable and cheap pair turn up, I may add them later...

Stem. I’m not sure yet whether this is stuck or not but it’s definitely flakey and rusty. It’s also got a really short reach so I may replace it…

Totally rotted “beige sleeve grips.” I think I’ll just go with cotton bar tape (colour tbc.) as it’s cheap and easy to source. There’s some mummified remains of bar-tape on the bike which interestingly feels more like thin smooth shirt type cotton than normal think textured cotton tape…

The John Bull 26 x 1 ¼ tyres seem remarkably supple so I might see how they feel once I’ve put in some new tube and pumped them up.

Other things that are probably only of interest to me:

It’s fitted with the higher spec “Kestrel” leather saddle (rather than the “Aston Racing Saddle) and the higher spec Hercules 46T 3-pin detachable fluted cottered crankset. The hubs are also high-flanged, so maybe the wheels were swopped at some point.

Attachments

• HAC.jpg
    HAC.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 2,003
  • badgecrowncaliper.jpg
    badgecrowncaliper.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,003
  • Rhub.jpg
    Rhub.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 2,003
  • mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2,004
  • stem.jpg
    stem.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,004
  • rotgrip.jpg
    rotgrip.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,003
  • FrameNo.jpg
    FrameNo.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,002
  • Kes.jpg
    Kes.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,003
paint looks in great condition & that would come up nicely I'd have thought

Always wanted a bike with that pre 60s look, like the racers from the 30s, or even the pashley guv'nor.

Who else on here loves those old leather saddles.....with a drop of neatsfoot oil, they can be as good as new, but with a wonderful aged look.

Nice, is that an Airlite hub on the back? Looks really nice and original. The wheel nut isn't a normal metric or imperial size, it's a proprietory thread only used on bikes. I think it's either 3/8" or 5/16" but you'll be able to find them on eBay or SJS Cycles.

SS freewheel will fit. If it's spaced over for gears, put it on the fixed side if you don't want to muck about respacing the wheel.

Thanks for the interest all.

I’m looking forward to being reunited with the Hercules at Christmas. It’s frustrating trying to work out what you what/need to do with a project that’s from a few hastily taken phone picture! I’m also desperate get at the (hopefully) shiny bits with a toothbrush and some autosol as the paintwork cleaned up nicely with a quick WD40 rub.

I’ve spotted some NOS double ended brake cables like these on ebay which would hopefully would allow me to retain the original Hercules brakes but at the moment I’ve no way of knew whether they’d fit... I’m also slightly concerned that 50 year old NOS cables are more likely to go snap than stop the bike. :shock: So I wonder if I’d be better with my original plan of fitting some vaguely period brakes that will take standard cables? ....Although, from the picture I took the brake drop looks really long… :?

@jonnny69
As for the hubs: I’m not sure of the make yet but I’ll be very happy if they are Airlite or something similarly desirable. All the Hercules catalogues show low-flange Hercules “narrow racing barrel” hubs but these are high flange and have oil ports.

I hadn’t thought of swapping the fixed sprocket for a freewheel - I might try that if I don’t get on with riding fixed. Another option is this adaptor someone’s selling on ebay that allows you to fit ss/fixed to threaded hub spaced for gears…
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222281971200? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Attachments

• dcable.jpg
    dcable.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,792
  • Asto.jpg
    Asto.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,792
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Nice machine you have there.
I have one also that has all the original parts on minus the saddle... It has a 21" frame.
This one had a 3 speed option when new.
I have started a restoration of this, the pictures attached show it in original condition....

Back