Did anyone ever notice that inverse M951 derailleurs actually had a purpose?

Thias

Klein Fan

You can use them to tune your M900 or M73x derailleurs! :LOL:
The main bolt is a direct fit. It is really nice and light. Titanium. (See picture above, XT bolz on the left, M951 to the right)

The bolt for clamping the cable also fits, as do the two little adjustment screws.
Even the cage might be swappable if you modify its bolt a little bit.

Anyone ever done this before?

I might stock up on inverse DRs from now on. They are usually dirt cheap!

You can feed it down into STX series too, if you want a silver mech.

(just as light as M737 once you switch the over a 737 jockey cage)

I don't like the STX too much, personally. I'm a snob. I try to always use m900 wherever possible. M73x else. :rolleyes:

I made more experiments today. I'll have to take back my statement about the cage beeing swapable. The (Titanium) bolt has a slightly bigger diameter thread compared to the M900 bolt. So unless you are able to cut a new smaller thread in Titanium, this is a no go.

I took a short cage M900 DR and swapped the main bolt, and the other small screws. It shaves a few gramms off. Weight is 212g now. Was 227g before.

The main bolt really looks different. I like it, but I can understand that some might think otherwise.
The cable bolt is basically the same. But it is anodized black instead of chrome. It won't rust. So that's a plus?

The adjustment screws are really similar looking, but they are more crisp and also Aluminium instead of steel.
That would be one of those little details noone would ever notice. Except for some nerds like us. :D

Great thread. Though i dont mind the reverse mechs it is great to know these little things, i especially like the limit screw upgrade.

Do the parts go the other way, from 951 to m900?
Is there improvement in performance/general integrity?

Im looking for you to convince me that destruction of the best* shifting mech on the planet justifies the 15g weight saving.

* I said. 😉

Do the parts go the other way, from 951 to m900?
Is there improvement in performance/general integrity?

From 951 to 900, that's exactly what I did...

Performancewise, I don't think there is any difference. As long as 15g less and the looks don't count as performance gain.

The STX is just for an all silver mech, the only difference is the back plate on the parallelogram is steel instead of 737's Alu. But it weighs identical and works identical. (one the jockey hanger part has been swapped over.)

Used it a franken mech on my '97 Kona for along time until too may hits, grinding paste of the moors and glue mud of my area and a chat with a large car eventually took it's toll.

Still going to make one again, but I do cheat and use my Alu hanger bolts for an extra weight saving over my Ti bolts.

I do love a good hodgepodge improved mech :)

From 951 to 900, that's exactly what I did...

Performancewise, I don't think there is any difference. As long as 15g less and the looks don't count as performance gain.
Sorry, other way i meant. Does m900 stuff work just as well in 951. ? Or is it perished.

Back