Diamond Back Apex 1993 value?

JCB66

Retro Newbie
I bought this Diamond Back Apex new back in 1993 and it has been a great bike to own. It’s in really good condition having been thoroughly mollycoddled, always stored in dry outbuildings and regularly serviced. Just some very minor chips and scuffs but nothing dented or bent. Alas the original Panaracer Smoke tyres are long since gone and it is currently shod with 1.50 road tyres on the original wheels as it has not been used off road for some years. Apart from that all its component parts are original.

Frame measurements:
Seat tube C-T - 48cm
Top tube C-C - 58cm

Specs:
True Temper OX Double-Butted Cro-Mo frame.
DB Cro-Mo Unitrac System front forks.
Araya RM-17 26” wheels with Wheelsmith spokes and Deore LX hubs.
Specialized Nimbus 26/1.50 tyres (the original inner tubes for Panaracer tyres are available).
Shimano Deore LX groupset. Rapidfire Plus shift levers. 21-speed (3x7).
Tioga Surefoot-VI pedals.
Avenir micro-adj. light alloy seat post.
Avenir saddle.
Zoom 170 handlebars on Zoom stem.
Weight with present tyres is 11.5kg.

I have the original Diamond Back Owner’s Manual and Shimano service instructions.
Hopefully I’ve covered all specs. Several photos are available.

Looking at past and present asking prices for an Apex on the usual online market places they vary considerably (some I'm sure are very optimistic) so I’m not sure what price to put on it. Having dropped into this Forum often over the past few years as a 'lurker' I have seen the Apex frequently mentioned so I am hoping the good folk here could give me some value guidance please. Also where might be best to sell?

Thanks, Jim

40731359803_ec2b16e926_b.jpg

Re:

This is not much help to you but that is a thing of beauty! I'm not sure why but the Diamond Back Apex - in various years' models - always catches my eye as an especially good-looking bike. And yours looks very well preserved.

As for pricing, it's difficult. There was a good condition one on here early last year that was offered at £130 including postage (I remember because I've looked at the photos many times) that didn't sell by the looks of it. There's one on eBay at the moment with a starting bid of £40 and no bids (but postage isn't offered and it's not in such good condition). And there's someone asking for £300 for one and that hasn't sold (unsurprisingly).

My best, not-especially-certain guess is that £70 - £90 would get it sold (lower price for quicker sale) but your location, willingness to post and better weather will make a difference. Try advertising it on here before resorting to eBay.

Re:

Lovely looking example! I sold my red 94 or 95, can't remember which year, a year or two back & & it made £120 but it wasn't as tidy as yours, I'd expect your to do a fair bit better, however it's all down to what a buyer will pay. Glws.

Re:

@Mr OX and @CassidyAce many thanks for your responses which are much appreciated.

I did see the Apex on eBay with a starting bid of £40 and noticed that it failed to sell on the first attempt so was relisted and is still there. On the other hand a 93 Apex with mods including front suspension forks sold there for £160 very recently after keen bidding between a few competing buyers. Maybe the forks made it more desirable?

I wasn't aware that a bike could be posted - how does that work? I mean does it have to be broken down and boxed? I would be prepared to deliver within reasonable distance or maybe meet a buyer halfway for greater distances. I'm based in Kent.

I thought the ads section on here seemed to be mainly parts and accessories but if it's worth advertising the Apex on here first I'll try that. Anything to avoid eBay ;)

Jim

Re:

Shipping a whole bike is a partial break down & box job. I really dislike it. but if your a good wrapper it really helps a sale on Ebay. Most buyers want a bike in original condition. Advertising it on here is a great idea, no fees, no (or none that I've encoutered) idiots & people are pretty friendly. You'll need to put a price on your ad though.

Re:

I have one the same in my fleet, slightly more ridden than the one in the pics I'd say, mine even had the original Smokes in very good cond. I paid £75 for it if that helps.

Sending it using Paisley freight service purchased via ebay is a matter of putting it in a bike size cardboard box, usually fr wheel out & pipe-lag the frame & anything vulnerable.

Re: Re:

JCB66":34cduuhd said:
Anything to avoid eBay
Personally I do whatever to avoid eBay, If someone really wants this beautiful steed then they'll come & collect it or find a way! don't let it go for peanuts!

@MR OX, @minor_LEGEND and @Graham_hkr many thanks for your comments.

I'll see if I can source a suitable box reasonably locally. Maybe try the local Halfords?? Then I'll advertise the Apex initially on this RetroBike web site to see what response it might get before throwing myself to the lions :LOL:

Lovely bike, but unfortunately its not exotica. Reasonably rare with the black 1993 only groupset.

So its only worth the sum of it's components.

Collectors are only really interested in the top group, XT then later XTR, nobody really wants Deore LX.

So sadly its not worth loads. I would have it in my "collection" as it was a bike on my shortlist BITD as it was good value, but I have no room :facepalm:

Its obviously way better than any new bike at £130, but thats probably the absolute max you'll get accounting for selling fees.

Back