Defective chain. Advice requested.

Markybeau

Gold Trader
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Some of you may have read the Today's Ride thread which I've been contributing to for the past couple of months. For the last couple of rides you may have noted that I've been having a transmission problem on my Mtrax. The issue only developed after a fitting a 'new'chain.

I fitted the chain over the weekend, and have been out a couple of times - covering about 40 miles. The rides were plagued by a problem with the chain jumping over the sprockets.

I've tried to address the issue methodically and found it unsolvable, as the last thing I thought it would be was the 'new chain', (even though it was the only thing I'd changed, duh!)

I've stripped and serviced the freehub on the regular back wheel.

I've tried 3 different back wheels all with different cassettes - all Shimano HG 8 speed.

I completely reset the cabling to the rear mech, retuned the gears and the problem remained more or less the same for each and every change I made.

I made sure the chain had the same number of links as the old chain.

The last thing to address was trying a different chain.

So I put another new chain on - a pc971 - no more transmission problem. I put the old chain back on - a very worn pc830 - no more transmission problem.

The 'new chain' is a pc870. It was sold to me as one that had 'just been up the road and back'. The odd thing is it feels new. It has the 'shop fresh' feel about it, new chain lube, no corrosion, nothing. But it behaves like it's worn out...

If its a new chain and you didnt replace anything else, iwould be looking at the cassette and chainrings.

Re:

Hmmm....if not a stiff link....and that means checking every one, and of course the one you joined particularly (not that you know which one this is now) ... the chain may have over-sticky lube. Have you stripped the lube off the chain and re-lubed?

Just spray with gt85 or wd40 as you rotate the chain...dry with a rag...wait fifteen minutes then put on MucOff motorcycle chain lube. Brilliant stuff. Thin....so it penetrates right in...evaporates off...leaving wax exactly where you want it.

Try that....

Re:

Having the same problem with my Clockwork, it'll be cassette or chainrings I'm sure.

Back