Dalby and the RAC 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
DALBY AND THE RAC 2011. THE RE-MATCH

RAC40.jpg

MEETING POINT: Hole of Horcum car park beside A170 north of Pickering.

TIME: 8:00am sharp for an 8:30 start. Fee Tea/ Coffee and bacon rolls served from 7:30am. Last order at 8:15 so get there early.

ROUTE: Moorland single and doubletrack to stage start at Rapers Farm, Gale Rigg. 90 minutes spectating then singletrack route to Levisham station for refreshments. Return to stage for second running in early afternoon, before returning to Hole of Horcum carpark at around 15:30hrs. Total distance of approx 12 miles.

PLEASE NOTE: standing around watching cars at this time of year can be cold. Bring extra layers of clothes and a warm hat as a bare minimum. Motorsport is dangerous- obey marshalls instructions at all times. Tou are present at your own risk!

Once again the fantastic RAC Rally visits our area this year. Dates are Friday 2nd December to Monday 5th. We did plan a ride last year which was to be the final round of the 2010 National Ride series. Unfortunately due to extreme weather conditions only me and Simonside resident made it.

Full 2010 aftermath thread here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=942423#942423

and a few snippets from 2009

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vi...stdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rac&start=30

Full details of this years rally can be found here

http://www.rogeralbertclarkrally.org/index.htm

This year I'm hoping that the weather is a little less artic. Plan is for a friday evening ride into Dalby for two stages starting from Thornton le Dale at 18:00hrs. Hopefully making it back in time for chips and a pint before closing time. Saturday will consist of a 6 mile ride through Cropton Forest starting at 9:00am to catch the first of two stages in Gale Rigg with a lunch break at Levisham Station between the two runs, followed by a return to our starting point- a total of around 15 miles riding.

There is also the chance of a further ride in the Kielder complex on Monday but plans have yet to be sorted.

This is a great opportunity to get in some quality winter riding and see some real oldskool cars in action. All are welcome, retro or modern. Accomodation is available in the Pickering area for those that would like to do friday and saturday.

Cheers

Si

Would love to Si but the Mrs is due to give birth on or around the 9th so I've no chance. :cry:

I'll pencil this in on my calendar and see nearer the date :)

Chris, as this ride is every year, hows about note it down in our area calendar for next year.

chrisv40":1b6thejz said:
Where is the start for the Saturday ride Si?

I'm waiting for the roadbook and service plans to be sent out chris. Only then will i know which part of the forest will be used for the rally and which bits we can use to ride. The stages change fromyear to year to make use of the smoothest roads and to avoid any felling works.
That said, a start from the south west around Newton upon Rawcliffe or Stape looks likely.(both a few miles north of Pickering for those not au fait with the locale)
I will update as soon as I know.

Si

Newton is where we intended to have lunch on the BDW but the pub was shut isn't it Si?

I had a couple of rides in Cropton bitd but can't remember any routes now, I recall chatting to Gil about it and he told me its mainly fireroad stuff now?

Is the RAC run every November?

I remember staying in a farmhouse at Wrelton late one September a few years back and the area was teaming with classic rally cars so I wondered if the month changes?

If it is run annually in November I will put it into next years rides.

It's usually the back end of November Chris but a little later this year. The september event you saw would have been the Trackrod Rally Yorkshire- final round of the British Rally Championship and the HRCR Historic Championship.
Newton is indeed the village with the pub. Once the Mucky Duck and open all hours. Now the rather gentrified White Swan and opens when it suits the current landlord (come back Chris wherever you are!).
I suppose if he catches wind that the rally is passing by he might open his doors. I'll ring nearer the time and ask.

Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back