Continental MTB tyres....a bit rubbish? Or brilliant?

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I love Continental car tyres. We run Continental winters and summers. They are great.

BUT

I’ve found Continental MTB tyres to be well, less than underwhelming. They seem to let go suddenly, they are average grip and then when pushed, they say ‘nope that’s it, not playing’. But these are the tyres of choice (or sponsorship) of the great Danny Mc and the extraordinary Athertons. Schwalbe Hand Dampf and MM - love them. Really dependable and very consistent. Confusing compound names...but blue line good, orange better, and purple excellent. Continental - chilli compounds....not impressed.

Anyone else with different experiences?

(Of course the Schwalbe road compounds of the early 2000s were rubbish in the wet...a bit of rain and the bike just threw you on the ground. I bought them, hated them, and went straight back to Spesh....)

Love them. I use race king 2.2 and mud king 1.8 have nothing but good to say. Excellent 26er tires

Always found continental mtb tyres to be very good. Every person though has a different opinion for example many folk like the classic Onza Porcupine, I however view them as a grip less piece of sh###!

I have got Continental tyres on two bikes.
Off road Speed King 2.1.
Double Fighter 1.9.
Great tyres.

I had speed king and race king but now I use Schwalve. Schwalve perfom better, but for training, the continental last more, the Schwalve last nothing but they are one of the best for racing.

So, they have some advantages and depends on what you do.

Last conti I had were Explorer and loved them, great for everything trails centres, road, bridleways and around here and sloped grass and roots.and pretty cheap to boot.
Tried the Twister Supersonic and you may as well just use a thick inner tube on its own, thick inner tube provides better protection from punctures, cuts or a flat from riding over a stone.

Got some Verticals hung up in the garage, not tried them as they look heavy.

But Since you're Hans DampFingering, I guess you may not be retro riding?

Had numerous ones and liked them tbh although the sidewalls are a little thin.glad I took some spares to the Alps I split an almost new one within a day riding. Pressure makes more of a difference than most think

I also like the fact that they are a German company that makes things in their own country. Not farmed out to cheap labour in Thai or China like so many. It's getting harder to find high end 26er rubber. Their inner tubes are better than average too. Unlike Maxxis which I've had no end problems with.

Back