Consensus plus info - rim/ hub colourmatch X517 & X717

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
First World problem right here. I've got a pair of silver X517's and black X717s. Are they the same, just the 717 is black?! Visually seem the same....

Not sure on which way to go with the rims hubs. The project is an M800 which I'm pretty sure will be mainly white with with lairy neon pink and pastel purple fades (!).

Should I go with the black or silver rims?

Should I ideally choose black hubs to go with the black rims? Silver hubs on black rims alright?! Silver hubs on the silver 517s best?
Can't quite visualise...not sure whether the black rims will jump-out too much with such a pale bike. Could look pretty cool though!

Help needed!

They did change the section slightly between them, IIRC the 717 is slightly narrower in the bit closest to the spokes. The 517 is very similar to the 217, but has a sharper edge to the braking surface. Nobody could tell any of them apart from 2 metres away!

Black hubs always look heavier. Matt ones are horrible, shiny like M56x look fine. Always silver spokes, mind. White with blakc rims looks good, gold or red best (but hard to find these days), silver rims also fine. Black rims seem to show the dirt worst (like black cars!)

Re:

They're black with silver brake tracks.....will only be able to afford one set built-up....the big question is which?!
I do like black rims....could look pretty swish on a white/ pink/ purple frame....but could save those for another project (there'll always be another!)...black rims with black seatpost and stem on some frame or another.....the post and stem will be silver on the 'Dale....so maybe it should be the silver rims....??!

Re:

A good idea is that! Underneath the bedroom window then have a look-see down to the lawn. You know how it is though, want to get cracking on getting the wheels built ready for the frame that'll only be sprayed in the coming warmer months....something's gotta come first..
If I did go black the front is 32 which means I could use a purple Ringle front hub that's in the shed...I imagine purple would match with a silver rear hub...
I suppose having a hobby like this helps forget about the everyday that's been going on for a year, even though to some it may seem frivolous when people are dying in their thousands

It was quite common to see fancy front hubs and bog standard Shimano hubs at the rear (at least early 90's)
As that was the 'cheap' and most noticeable part.

Re:

I'm swayed thanks! The purple Ringle needs to get used at some point - no point being in a box in the shed.
Alloy nipples for this build though.....silver or purple....???!! :|

Back