Confirm this isn’t factory welding please?

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I know the answer as I wouldn’t believe it could be factory welding as it’s very messy.

But this is a repair isn’t it?

Attachments

• 8F838B6B-13B7-4463-8CEA-6523916829ED.jpeg
    8F838B6B-13B7-4463-8CEA-6523916829ED.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DA3FAC6C-7622-4652-AE14-ED0EA317F329.jpeg
    DA3FAC6C-7622-4652-AE14-ED0EA317F329.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 123
That's pulled a shed load of bronze in from somewhere. I'd say it's not factory, but I can't see what would have happened to make a repair like that.

Looking at that, I'd hazard a guess it's snapped in two, the brazed/welded back together, then they've used 'filler rods' to build back up but welding/brazing isn't a something I'm an expert in

Another angle.

Assuming it maybe had a crack near the horseshoe chainsuck protector maybe

Attachments

• 78E0AA99-AEF9-42E7-9F72-0CEDC6DA8662.jpeg
    78E0AA99-AEF9-42E7-9F72-0CEDC6DA8662.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 78
That's not a repair.
That's a bodge.

And a shitty one at that!
Did you read my first line of the opening post where I said the welding is “very messy” or did you glance past that part …..

Bodge or not it’s lasted some years by sounds of it even though not pretty.

It looks more like a modification than the repair to be honest, I can't see anywhere that a crack could form that would need this repair doing. looking at your last picture I'd say that the brace used to stop the same place both sides and it's been extended and 2 bolts added for something later down the line (you can see where the weld ties in just by the bolt near to the BB). it would explain the amount of drawn in bronze from the original braze that hasn't been cut back or not fully anyway. the modification seems to have been "dressed" (or hit with a rough tooth file at any rate) after the weld and quite possible that the holes have been drilled and tapped after the fact too given their location. pull the bolt out the other hole and look down the threads with a torch, see what's in the threads.

yer it's rough and ready, but it looks strong enough, it's more an interesting aside as to why for me than it being shoddy and rubbish.

remember folks, a grinder and paint makes me the welder I aint. :)

The horseshoe shaped brace is deffo standard as other frames the same have it. One on here which coincidentally is cracked too.

Did you read my first line of the opening post where I said the welding is “very messy” or did you glance past that part …..

Bodge or not it’s lasted some years by sounds of it even though not pretty.
You asked if it was a factory weld or a repair.

My answer is it's neither. It's a bodge. It may have lasted, but it is still shoddy work of the lowest order.

You've asked for an opinion. I've given mine for free. You may not like it, and if so, I give a full money back guarantee. HTH.

You asked if it was a factory weld or a repair.

My answer is it's neither. It's a bodge. It may have lasted, but it is still shoddy work of the lowest order.

You've asked for an opinion. I've given mine for free. You may not like it, and if so, I give a full money back guarantee. HTH.
I did. I never said it was a pretty repair.

I simply wanted to check this wasn’t the norm before it gets disposed of or sold cheap.

Bodge would be sticking gaffa tape round it. It’s welded. It’s last 10 years plus for the guy but looks messy as I said.

Makes zero difference to me as it’ll likely end up at the tip

Back