Cockpit color coordination

Cactus459

Dirt Disciple
So my current project is not about trying to make my 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper 100% original. I am trying to keep it period correct. Is there a unwritten rule on matching stem and seatpost? I have a black Tioga Tbone stem and the original silver seatpost. Was wondering how many of you would upgrade the seatpost to something black... and what?

Attachments

• 20210517_151429.jpg
    20210517_151429.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 18
I’m on the side of the matching post stem . But if thats how the manufacturer had it then perhaps keep it like that? Had the same with my MF

I currently like all black components on a bike, a lot of mine at the moment are. Though a silver seatpost does go well with silver cranks.

I wouldnt worry too much about rules tbh, whatever fits, you like and gets you out riding should be just fine.

I did go through a period of putting a different colour seatpost in to the rest of the bike/parts just to liven it up a bit, also another period of odd grips, to each other and the rest of the bike, and back in the day i didnt know anyone that matched anything, everyone used whatever they could get.

I’m on the side of the matching post stem . But if thats how the manufacturer had it then perhaps keep it like that? Had the same with my MF
Actually the bike came with silver house brand seatpost and stem, added the black stem thinking it would look better with the upgraded black headset? This got me thinking I now should upgrade the seatpost as well? I will say also that the hubs were silver and now they are also black.

I currently like all black components on a bike, a lot of mine at the moment are. Though a silver seatpost does go well with silver cranks.

I wouldnt worry too much about rules tbh, whatever fits, you like and gets you out riding should be just fine.

I did go through a period of putting a different colour seatpost in to the rest of the bike/parts just to liven it up a bit, also another period of odd grips, to each other and the rest of the bike, and back in the day i didnt know anyone that matched anything, everyone used whatever they could get.
Funny you would say silver cranks... I upgraded the cranks and now the chainrings are black as well as the hubs. Kinda feel the seatpost should also be black? Got a new Flight saddle on the way and it will show off the clamping mechanism, looks like I will upgrade just not sure yet to what...

The bars still match the post though.

You know once you start you cant stop until the bars and cranks are black too ;):D

No unwritten rules, just individual preferences. I try to match bars, stem, seatpost, cranks, seatpost clamp, bottle cage bolts . . . but difference is good. (Just not on my bikes.)

I like a matching bar, stem and post but don't think it's something to be too concerned about, either way. It's certainly not the case on all my bikes

I like matching some things but not all.

I actually prefer the seat post match the forks in some way.

Something about diagonal sight lines...

But generally speaking I think if one of bars and stem match the post, you're going to be fine. And if neither do but the cranks do you'll also be fine!

If none of those do, you can always link it with other, smaller components: pedals, brake levers, hangers, bolts, cages, even decals, Etc.

I want to do a build one day where absolutely nothing matches and everything clashes with another thing.

Back