Clyde coast / largs area rides

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Good folks of macretro, I am looking for ride suggestions that are close ish (within 45 minute drive) to the largs area, either places with a few trails / lines that can be sessioned for a few hours or relatively decent sized (10-20 mile) loops of blue or red ish grade trails. That is the short version...

The long version, for a little context, my grandparents retired out to the coast near largs (from sunny barrhead) in the early 80's so i have spent a lot of my youth and not so youth in the area but infrequently with the bike. When my grandfather passed away 3 years ago, my dad took on their flat and decided to retire back home from cheshire. Unfortunately, after just 2 years back up north, dad passed away with no thanks to a horrifically fast moving and aggressive cancer. What that means is i am looking to take on the flat myself as a bolthole / holiday property and fully intend to make full use of it which hopefully will include getting in a fair bit of riding on my own but also potentially the odd weekender with the guys i ride with down here but i want the trips to be worth the drive!

I have questions mainly concerning the 2 places i am aware of, the gleniffer braes (mums parents lived in glenburn backing onto them, as does my uncle at the top end of barrhead) and also I've been told to look at the kelly cut.

I'm curious as to what the riding is like in both places, I've never been to the cut and the braes have only ever been walked or used for kite flying as a kid. How is the riding?

On top of that, where else is worth investigating along that stretch of coast or a bit further inland?

Any pointers and recommendations gladly recieved (i won't be riding retro, it'll either be my enduro or squatch i am riding)

Thank you!

From opposite coast but they had a Scottish Enduro at Dunoon a few years back, so must be stuff there.

Other than that try PMing Kaiser. Not sure how much he checks the forum anymore but he’s in Saltcoats so should have plenty ideas.

Sprockets Cycles in Kilmarnock is the biggest lbs in the area and might also be worth a shout.

There is the Firetower trail at Lochgilphead though I do not know if that's within range. It's a Red grade trail with some black grade bits. Never been myself but there are plenty sites regarding it on the Web.
There is also Carron Valley to NE of Glasgow which is a trail centre with some entertaining sections.
Mugdock Park to the North of Glasgow is quite good for natural trail riding.
Island of Arran is quite good for natural trail riding as its criss crossed with paths and tracks and varied terrains. Arran mtb club are quite active and willing to show folk around.

Back