rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
spog47":2t3loofk said:
Anybody have any ideas with this frame year from my Claud (Frame number 31403)
http://s356.photobucket.com/user/spog47 ... z.jpg.html

Excellent, in our estimated predictions here;Claud Butler-Holdsworth frame numbers 1959-1976 we thought that maybe the first series of Holdsworth numbers might get up to 31500, but then revised this estimate back down to 31000 by June 1976. Your number pushes this back again.
Do you know the model of your CB?
Would you mind posting some photos or adding a link on the Claud Butler-Holdsworth frame numbers 1959-1976 thread please?

Attachments

• Frame No_zpseddujldz.jpg
    Frame No_zpseddujldz.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 4,009

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Hello Spog,
This ones got bounced around a few threads, but I thought it probably best to reply on this one.

As you’ve probably realised by now this dating/naming game is full of pit falls and misdiagnosis.

And normally usually relies upon a process of elimination.

Couple of facts;

1. It’s obviously a path/track model
2. It’s defiantly pre Holdsworth period
3. It’s not one of the Olympic variants (none were fillet braised - lugs or Bi-lams only)

If..... this number was 531403 (I’m suggesting a really bad stamp see red arrow below) it would sit very well with a low January number from 1953 and I’d bet my hat on it being a “Road track” no.45 model

What would seal the debate would be if you could show us the number stamped on the steering tube.

Attachments

• CC41D470-C1D3-4BC9-8632-72444F918AC5.jpeg
    CC41D470-C1D3-4BC9-8632-72444F918AC5.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3,968
  • 8F412A48-3B6C-493C-90E4-101F7E0F3708.jpeg
    8F412A48-3B6C-493C-90E4-101F7E0F3708.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3,967

spog47

Dirt Disciple
Re:

That help a little. When i stripped the bike down i did notice the forks steering tube had a different number on it, i just thought the forks were from a different bike and didn't note the number down.

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Re: Re:

spog47":1i7xf2m3 said:
That help a little. When i stripped the bike down i did notice the forks steering tube had a different number on it, i just thought the forks were from a different bike and didn't note the number down.

If the bike was used in proper competition, the forks may well have been replaced. Any chance you might take this opportunity to service the head set? ;)

spog47

Dirt Disciple
Re:

To be fair i've only just build it back up so i don't think i'll be taking the headset a part any time soon. Thanks for the information it helped a lot.

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A friend of mine has a 1945 one family owned from new Claud Butler "Olympic sprint" with the frame number 411 293

chrisbeeching

Retro Newbie
Not sure whether this query fits here but I have two USWB tandem frame sets. The first appears to be a lugless (fillet brazed) double diamond, with 515 and 2737 stamped on the front bottom bracket. It did have a brass CB head badge but the sprayer managed to misplace it. The second is lugged, virtually the same dimensions but with a slightly different rear bottom bracket (without the heavy flattened part), with simply 0444 stamped on the rear of the front bottom bracket. Can anyone give any indication of year of manufacture of the first, and possible confirmation of whether the second is a CB, and its YOM? Thanks.

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
chrisbeeching":wodywxjy said:
Not sure whether this query fits here but I have two USWB tandem frame sets. The first appears to be a lugless (fillet brazed) double diamond, with 515 and 2737 stamped on the front bottom bracket. It did have a brass CB head badge but the sprayer managed to misplace it. The second is lugged, virtually the same dimensions but with a slightly different rear bottom bracket (without the heavy flattened part), with simply 0444 stamped on the rear of the front bottom bracket. Can anyone give any indication of year of manufacture of the first, and possible confirmation of whether the second is a CB, and its YOM? Thanks.

Ok, the first one is simple, 51=1951, 5=May, 2737th frame that year (averaging approx 600 a month this fits well)

The second doesn’t sound like a CB number, as the only ones ever to start with a zero were the six figure Holdsworth system from the mid seventies. Unless of course the number is incomplete or mistakenly read (some stamping was poor or could be damaged or even paint filled)
Fork stearer tube stamped numbers are usually a better indicator as they are protected.

Photos may help identification of course.