Claud Butler frame number identification

David Painter

Retro Newbie
Good morning Peachy
I found a few more photos, there are some numbers. Will get around to trying to remove the forks, I suspect I may have trouble as I remember having difficulty to raise or lower the handle bars some time ago. Any tips for stubborn fork removal perhaps?
All the best
David

Attachments

• 20211211_124746.jpg
    20211211_124746.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211211_124909.jpg
    20211211_124909.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 18

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Good morning Peachy
I found a few more photos, there are some numbers. Will get around to trying to remove the forks, I suspect I may have trouble as I remember having difficulty to raise or lower the handle bars some time ago. Any tips for stubborn fork removal perhaps?
All the best
David
Hello David, I can't read whats on the BB and I suspect the numbers on the lug might be a product code for the cast lug as I've never seen a frame stamped there before. Can you not get access to photograph the bike as more pictures as I've said especially the brake bridge, rear drop outs, seat tube top cluster and an overall drive side photo would go along way.
Frame numbers & lots of photos almost always makes the task of dating and model identification easy and fun.

David Painter

Retro Newbie
Hello David, I can't read whats on the BB and I suspect the numbers on the lug might be a product code for the cast lug as I've never seen a frame stamped there before. Can you not get access to photograph the bike as more pictures as I've said especially the brake bridge, rear drop outs, seat tube top cluster and an overall drive side photo would go along way.
Frame numbers & lots of photos almost always makes the task of dating and model identification easy and fun.
Thank you Peachy for your reply, yes I will do as you ask, just got to get the bike down, currently tied up in the roof of my garage will get back to you. Cheers David

PhilWells

Retro Newbie
Dear forum members,

I have recently recovered a Claud Butler frame from the garage of my late father who was born in 1928 and who lived in South-East London as a teenager. I know he cherished the bike and that he would ride to a relative in Devon with a friend and they would return to London with their cycles on the train.

I would like to ask if anybody is able to identify the age and model of the frame and also if there are any suggestions of who in the south of England might be able to restore the cycle to its former glory. I am a reasonable car mechanic, but do not possess the skills or tools required for a challenge such as this.

I have included a set of photographs of the frame from different angles and set out below the main dimensions:

Crank to saddle post clamp: 21 inches
Rear wheel arm: 18 inches
Front fork length: 15 inches
Number on crank stem: 57766 (photograph attached)
Number on underside of crank appears to be: 9D V 64/6 (photograph attached)

2022Feb18Claudframe.jpg 2022Feb18Claudrearwheel.jpg2022Feb18Claudfrontbadgeandforks.jpg2022Feb18Claudgearshift.jpg2022Feb18Claudforwardcranknumber.jpg2022Feb18Claudcrankbottomnumber.jpg

2022Feb18Claudsaddlepostclamp.jpg

Any information will be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Phil Wells

Tdr1nka

Retro Newbie
Hello All,
I've recently been given what appears to be a 1973 CB Olympic.
The serial number is 64575 in both BB and forks.
I assume, from the info available, this is a Holdsworth build and I am interested in where this frame might have been made?

Tdr1nka

Retro Newbie
Hello All,
I've recently been given what appears to be a 1973 CB Olympic.
The serial number is 64575 in both BB and forks.
I assume, from the info available, this is a Holdsworth build and I am interested in where this frame might have been made?
For some reason I'm not able to post pictures 🤬

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Dear forum members,

I have recently recovered a Claud Butler frame from the garage of my late father who was born in 1928 and who lived in South-East London as a teenager. I know he cherished the bike and that he would ride to a relative in Devon with a friend and they would return to London with their cycles on the train.

I would like to ask if anybody is able to identify the age and model of the frame and also if there are any suggestions of who in the south of England might be able to restore the cycle to its former glory. I am a reasonable car mechanic, but do not possess the skills or tools required for a challenge such as this.

I have included a set of photographs of the frame from different angles and set out below the main dimensions:

Crank to saddle post clamp: 21 inches
Rear wheel arm: 18 inches
Front fork length: 15 inches
Number on crank stem: 57766 (photograph attached)
Number on underside of crank appears to be: 9D V 64/6 (photograph attached)

View attachment 605188 View attachment 605189View attachment 605194View attachment 605195View attachment 605197View attachment 605204

View attachment 605206

Any information will be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Phil Wells
Hello @PhilWells very interesting frame, judging by the lugs I'd say possibly pre-war. The frame number is 57766 (the other numbers are referring to the BB shell I think)
The number would suggest either 1935 or 45, then July 7, frame count 766. The keeper of the frame numbers @dwscrimshaw might be able to shed some light on this.

Last edited: