Claud Butler frame number identification

marchb89

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

just an update on my yellow Claud Butler... I managed to get the forks off and see the number on those on the attached photo.

Great news... it corresponds with the frame number, so the bike hasn't been totalled in the past.

bad news... it corresponds with the frame number, so we are still non the wiser on frame age haha

cheers

Marc

Attachments

• Fork ID number.jpg
    Fork ID number.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101

CBguy

Retro Guru
Re:

To the contrary I believe that frame number and position dates to time of CB to Holdsworthy transition in 1958. All 6 CB frames collected thus far with similar numbering have features dating to around that period of time.

marchb89

Retro Newbie
That's great, would they have possible had the frames built in 58 then sold at a later date ? Such as early 60s due to the decals? The puzzle is getting clearer thanks to everyone's help

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
marchb89":1vzw6j01 said:
That's great, would they have possible had the frames built in 58 then sold at a later date ? Such as early 60s due to the decals? The puzzle is getting clearer thanks to everyone's help

Not sure it would hang around for four years (that seat tube decal arrived sometime 1963) I'd put my money on a shop re-spray later on as these decals were in use into the 70's...