Readers Classic Motorcycles - Chat Photos Builds/Resto’s etc

I have rebuilt my 1985 suzuki gsx 550 e katana in original black/red colouring, The owner before me turned it into a street fighter style bike which IMO didn't suit it

Not sure if ive mentioned before...

I have a '91 FZR600 in Kosinski colours, one of only 20 made with the trapezpoidal headlamp (20 were made in 1990 with the dual headlamps) and to my knowledge the last intact and running example left. Until last year I had its twin, a 1991 V Max full-horse in the same paint scheme, but with my knackered hip it was getting too much to wheel/push about when putting it away so i reluctantly sold it.

So I bought a 1953 BSA B31 350, which tops out at about 60 with my weight and windsock like form atop it, but its wonderful for pleasant pottering on the lanes hereabouts.

Both are still in hibernation, come October they get cleaned, waxed, and every plated and polished surface slathered in duck oil before being tucked up in the garage in breathable covers. Next few weeks I should look at ressurecting them and I'll get some pics.

Last edited:
So I bought a 1953 BSA B31 350, which tops out at about 60 with my weight and windsock like form atop it, but its wonderful for pleasant pottering on the lanes hereabouts.

Both are still in hibernation, come October they get cleaned, waxed, and every plated and polished surface slathered in duck oil before being tucked up in the garage in breathable covers. Next few weeks I should look at ressurecting them and I'll get some pics

So hows the hip with a kickstart?
My hip has just started to get a bit iffy I walk around the length of the garden with a strimmer and my my hip hurts like ****.
I haven't got my VB out and am dreading it. What if I can't kick it over! Only young blokes whinge about kicking a bike over.

You probably have the power advantage over me, my VB is barely faster than the tredarists I slowly pass.
I went to "250 Heathers" house on a B31, she hid my boots and I
ended up starting the bike barefoot, my foot isn't very rigid.

collection.jpg

I thi k it was about 20bhp when new, and doubtless the odd pony has escaped over the last 69 years. I get gangs of kids on BMX's blasting past and laughing at me, but 50 or 60 years there will be few private motor vehicles left so Im getting the last laugh.

Not sure if ive mentioned before...

I have a '91 FZR600 in Kosinski colours, one of only 20 made with the trapezpoidal headlamp
-

Wow - It's been a long, long, long, long time since I saw JOHN KOCHINSKI mentioned anywhere !

I even had to go check-up the correct spelling on his name, as I wasn't sure "how" to spell it, myself.

I believe the way you've typed-it, is the correct pronounciation, but not the right spelling, in print - anyways, whatever....

Now the reason I mention "him", is quite funny (laughable - well, it most cert' IS in my view, anyhow !)

See, back in the late 1980's & into the early 1990's, I always had "a pair" of beautiful, 'mint', Japanese 1,000cc sportsbikes in our garage.

Meantime, I was still using my 3rd (ever) crash-helmet, back then, an expensive "Bell Star 3" - (the one with the muzzle !)

Given the Bell Star 3 was by now 10-yrs old (& still 'mint', undropped), I figured that it wuz time for an update....

Liked the look of the (then, "new"), Shoei X8R racing helmets & back then, had plenty of wad, so....

Narrowed it down to just TWO colour-schemes that I liked - Bear in mind that my Bell Tourstar AND Bell Star 3 were plain 'Jet-Black'

Fancied "a splash of colour" for a change - Two schemes were.....

1, JOHN KOCHINSKI = Yellow top-half, with "American Eagle" w/stars-n-stripes towards rear.....

or

2, Wayne Gardener, the tall/lanky New-Zealander = White with Red/Gold-Pinstripe/Red/Blue graphics - Looked "Quality".

Favoured the more flamboyant JOHN KOCHINSKI replica tho' (daft, I know), until days before purchase (Ally-Pally show), I read this.....

JOHN KOCHINSKI, a loud-mouth American (not like all of them BTW 🥰), had mouthed-off in the Bike-press, claiming & stating......

"IF YOU AIN'T 'MURICAN, YOU AIN'T $HIT"

Read that, contmeplated-it, took it in, then said -

"Thanks John - I ain't MURICAN, so I guess that means I'm NOT $HIT" (cheers mate ! 🤙

Thanks for your vote John AND your truly terrible, lame, $hit-command & understanding of the English-language !!!!!

Naturally, that one, lone, "mouth it off" statement, meant that I went straight-out & bought the Wayne Gardiner Shoei X8R 🤗 instead.

After that, by chance, JOHN KOCHINSKI went the way of Lord Lucan & the crew of 'The Marie Celeste' - Bye Joohhhhhhnnnnnn

Slow but steady, bit like todays rid having been dragged out by Mike Muz on a course in the Forest of Dean that was either very up 😓 or down

Anyway here's where I've got to

5.JPG

and with 13yr old homegrown test pilot complete with my Eddie Lawson replica helmet from 1989

7.JPG

A apart from the front faring - next job is brake lines and then Gas

sod Doohan / Gobby Johnnie K ^^ (cool helmet thought)- give me 1988 & Gardner/Lawson/Rainey/Schwantz/Sarron/ Rocket Ron/Niall McKenzie and Rob McElnea duking it out for the honours

The_main_man_Lawson.jpg

Back