Cinelli Alter 1 1/8" Inverse Shim

Skynet

Senior Retro Guru
I know the Alter's were for 1" steerer but have read that there was what someone called an inverse shim so it would fit 1 1/8". I don't understand how that would work, making a hole larger, any ideas or is it nonsense?

You should be able to get an inverse shim from most workshops. You'll need to go and ask them for a long standing weight to do it.

And don't forget a tub of elbow grease to help get the shim into the stem, they're usually quite a tight fit

Yeah, yeah funny. I've never seen them in real life so it was possible but unlikely from the photos that it had a built in shim that you removed and it was then 1 1/8. But it's hasn't.

Skynet":3am4954k said:
I know the Alter's were for 1" steerer but have read that there was what someone called an inverse shim so it would fit 1 1/8". I don't understand how that would work, making a hole larger, any ideas or is it nonsense?

Well, I''d say "no" it doesn't exist.

Unless you go another way, see one of my bikes :mrgreen:
6246977071_f836193a9e_b.jpg

The way is done, is due to the forks: are proper track forks with a VERY thick steerer that would fit a 1" quill to 1" ahead stem converter.
The headset was preloaded with an Easton wedge-collar. It worked very well, but eventually I moved to bullhorn bars so the Integralters are in the storage (and are NOT for sale, sorry)

Re:

Just had to Google it to see what it was. I can see why youre desperately hoping to fit one to your frame. Really nice stem

Back