Cassette/range upgrade advice

Beeewu

Retro Guru
I'm currently riding a 91 Pine mountain 1 x7 speed as i never used the front mech..my dyslexia kicks in during gear change combos..so ive simplified my gear changing...but would like to increase the range a bit.
My rear mech is a Deore DX M650 and cassete is 12-28 and 44t chain ring.... ive seen some 8 speed 11-42 wide range cassetters but this might be overkill or not work with my rear mech...im guessing a 11-36 would be best and more like to work with the dx mech?
Nice1
B

The mech will be fine up to 34T, but you will need a different hub to fit 8-(or more) speeds. The freehub body on 7s is shorter. You would also need new shifters of course.

Easiest is to buy a 12-32 7s which will be a drop-in fit.

Thanks Hamster...i think my XT hub can take a 8? as there a thin spacer only arounds 1.5mm - 2mm...dont know if theres gonna be much difference between 7 or 8 speed? or would it be a good upgrade

Sounds right if there's a spacer. You will still need a different shifter though.
To be honest there's really not much difference between 7 and 8 (or even 9) in terms of the benefit of a slightly smaller jump between gears. I still mainly run 7 as it's tough and reliable.

yes mate, makes sense..been looking into cassettes loads of the shimano ones seem sold out....did see this Sram one at halfords?

im not really the most harcore rider, this one seems pretty cheap tho?

I've got a tired one in my bits box you are welcome to, PM me your address. You might find it skips in a gear or two depending on how worn your chain is. It survived 2000 miles on a loaded touring tandem.

Ah thanks for the offer mate, really kind..i might pick up a new as they have the sram cassettes in stock, just around the corner from me...might grab it today to test out..

I bought one from Halfords, myself, last weekend, as a like-for-like replacement for the one that was already on my commuter. Complete with a new SRAM chain, the shifting is lovely again. The last one lasted for two-and-a-half years of rain, sun, snow, hail, dirt and benign neglect. I doubt if you'll regret your purchase.

Back