casette / Hub problem

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys

I am looking for some help.
I am riding my Rocky Mountain with 7 speed wheels. Every now and again it feels like I am pedaling air! Its as if the cassessete somehow disconnects and is not locking against the hubs. Then it just rights itself and everything is normal. It looks tight, I have checked and it is tight. Could this be something to do with hub??
:?

freehub body by the sounds of it.

bang-bang jag-jag-bang and jag would be chain not engaging cassette teeth.

if you can get it off, i've heard of bathing them in white spirit, give it a shake and bath some more. then, re-lube somehow. a bonus if the fhb has the rubber seal at the back to remove with a pick, then push as much grease in as you can.

possibly a solution but, matbe better and less faff to ask around for a new/used good condition one. a good opportunity to service the main hub bearings too.

Which hubs are you runnin'?

You could try soaking in degreaser as suggested. Once rinsed, we used to then soak in a thick oil. Land Rover diff or gearbox oil was what we used. I think too much grease might stop the pawls engaging well.

If its a standard shimano hub the free hub body can be swapped parts permitting) Any more exotic may be able to be stripped.

Cheers

try lots of gt85 or similar and let it soak in, it might free everything up and get it working again. if that doesn't work then it's probably gone past the point of all repair and you need a new one... I've got a used one somewhere, yours for postage plus a beer if you need it :LOL:

Back