Carbon forks, suggestions for keeping them in one bit?

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Hello All. I don't usually stray into this section of the forum because, well most of my bikes struggle to get out of the 1980's let alone anywhere near the turn of the century.

Anyhow I'm after some advice that is probably better served here. I have a modernish bike that I needed to get forks with a longer steering tube for, it has a 1" steerer so not as common as the normal 1 1/8". I found a set on ebay, bought them and went about fitting them on Saturday.

All went well until I put the bike back on the floor and turned the bars because although the bars moved the wheel didn't. I thought I did tighten the stem didn't I? I had so had another look and the steerer itself and it was moving independently of the forks, after taking them back out I tried to move the steerer by hand and after a bit of effort it did indeed move and with a bit more turning it parted company with the forks, having had a pair of steel forks fail on me at the same point I was a tad concerned.

The two parts are a very snug fit and there looks to have been very little adhesive keeping the two together in the first place as you can see what's left of it. I have contacted the seller but and these may be silly questions, as finding another set of suitable forks will be a pain is this something I should look at getting re bonded? Could I do it myself with the right adhesive? or should I just send them back and carry on searching? All suggestions welcome.

IMG_20211107_115622.jpg
IMG_20211107_115631.jpg

return to sender.
2 things. 1: the amount of adhesive is right, there should only be a little bit of adhesive in the bond, if there was a lot, the joint would be to big and considerable weaker.

2. that failure mode would suggest a very hard life as the only way to remove that bond is with cyclic fatigue.

return to sender.
2 things. 1: the amount of adhesive is right, there should only be a little bit of adhesive in the bond, if there was a lot, the joint would be to big and considerable weaker.

2. that failure mode would suggest a very hard life as the only way to remove that bond is with cyclic fatigue.
Ok Thanks for that. I did expect that would be the case but finding a suitable set has been a mission so I didn't want to give up on them if they could be saved.

Whats the reason for the longer steerer? if it's to allow fitting a taller stack, have you considered a steer tube extension (if fitted correctly and inspected regularly, they are fine).

Whats the reason for the longer steerer? if it's to allow fitting a taller stack, have you considered a steer tube extension (if fitted correctly and inspected regularly, they are fine).
Basically the frame came with the wrong forks (alloy instead of carbon) and I managed to find one set of carbon forks for it but the steerer had already been cut down and is currently about 20mm too short.

Hi, I have some Columbus 1" forks, almost new and only done 100 miles or so. Full carbon, long steerer 200mm+. Let me know if interested, £80 posted.

Thanks but its a big frame so I need a long steerer, that ones 300mm from memory

I think you can still get new Columbus Minimal forks in 1". They come with a ~280mm steerer IIRC

Back