Cannondale M600 1994, heritage build of 1998

Vesatoro

Cannondale Fan
My first project (built 2020) in one piece. An 1994 M600 was stolen from me 1998. I never got it back, and I have had it in the back of my mind for over 20 years... It was a bike that I had bought and built with summerjob wages. Updating from LX/STX to XT/LX and most of other parts also. In my opinion this was one of the most beautiful Cannondale frames of the nineties, of course wery subjective view. And now it was time to build a replica. With that bike I searched the local trails, attended some competitions in youth class and just spent wonderful time in the forests. Initial thought was to build it as it was, but for practical and artistic reasons some changes were done along the journey.

So now it was time to build a heritage bike. After a half year search, I found a very good condition bike for starter here in Finland, paid well over price, but I had to get it. Some things were also wrong with the bike (won't buy that seller anything anymore), but the most important part, frame was just the way it should. Initial thought was to build it as the old bike once was, but for practical and artistic reasons some changes were done along the journey. (EDIT: at the end the bike is about 99% "original" spec, just took some time to finish.)

It came to be a quite an international project:

• Frame, wheelset and bar-ends from Finland
  • Fork, seatpost, tires, rear derailleur and fork steel springs from Germany
  • Gripshifts and handlebar from England
  • Saddle from Serbia (thanks Nemanja)
  • Brakes from Poland
  • Fork decals from Hungary
  • Fork end caps, ATI Tomac grips and blue pulley wheels from US.
Still trying to find:
Club Roost I-beam stem in 1-1/4" threadless, so if you know any... (EDIT: found, not searching anymore)

Summary: an interesting and a very personal and even emotional journey to vintage bike building. Every time I ride this bike, it takes me to a time with less worries and more freedom. Warm thanks for all who have helped.

Full spec below photos.

P8290075.JPG

P8290076.JPG

P8290074.JPG

P8290066.JPG

P8290067.JPG

P8290069.JPG

P8290070.JPG

P8290073.JPG

M600-c.jpg

M600shadow.jpg

FrameCannondale M600 1994 S (16")
ForkManitou Mach 5 SX 1-1/4" threadless with steel springs
StemClub Roost I-Beam, 130 mm / 5 deg.
HeadsetDia-Compe Aheadset
HandlebarCODA Performance
GripsATI Tomac transparent
BarendsTitec magnesium
SeatpostRooX
SeatClub Roost, Team Roost Ti
Seat collar / QRCODA/Tranz-X
F.hubSachs Quarz
F.rimMavic 217 SUP
R.hubSachs Quarz
R.rimMavic 217 SUP
Wheel QRTranz-X
Shift leversGripshift X-ray SRT800 with ATI transluscent blue grips
F.derailleurDeore LX FD-M560
R.derailleurDeore XT M739, blue jockey wheels
Brake leversDeore XT BL-M739
F.brakesDeore XT BR-M739
R.brakesDeore XT BR-M739
B.bracketBB-UN52
CranksetDeore LX FC-M563
ChainringsDeore LX FC-M563
CassetteDeore XT CS-M737-8
ChainCN-HG71
PedalsPD-M535

Last edited:
Project update. Managed to acquire the long sought Club Roost I-Beam stem by a three party transaction, thanks guys Double-E F and freddok!
Then was horrified when I noticed that I had cut the steerer tube a bit too short for the high stack height of the I-Beam compared to Zooka. So, searching for a 1-1/4" crown&steerer for Mach5 was necessary. Not an easy task, but managed to buy complete fork with uncut tube for the need and spare parts. Now one step closer to the completion. Still waiting for NOS Tranz-X qr skewers to arrive. After that it's probably end of the project if a wheelset with Sachs Quartz hubs doesn't jump up somewhere.

IMG_9555.jpg IMG_9556.jpg

This endless (so far 2,5 years) project has evolved a bit during the summer and autumn. The Manitou crown and steerer tube were changed to a longer one, allowing the I-Beam to hug nicely. I also found a NOS set of Tranz-X skewers similar to the originals. Then I was lucky and managed to aquire a wheelset with Sachs Quarz hubs and Rigida DP25 rims. The original rims were Wolber AT400, but I think the black rigidas fit quite well. Basically what is still missing from perfection are:
- bright LX crankset (instead of black), ordered, but not yet arrived.
- Wolber AT400 "Titanium light" rims, if I ever happen to find a pair in NOS/VGC, and manage to get a wheelset build
- IRC Piranhapro 2.0 K F&R skinwall tire set
- Steel springs for the Gripshift (these I have but not yet installed).

IMG_0319.JPEG

tranz-x.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning, I agree - this era of Cannondale are gorgeous, and nice when these projects have such an emotive backstory. Well done. :D

Beautiful build 😍 , glad to see this one today as I missed it originally. That paint job is one of the nicest colours I've seen from that era, I have a 93' BOTE and love the early 90s Cannondales.

Love the back story as well, you've put a lot of effort into finding preferred parts, well done!

Beautiful build 😍 , glad to see this one today as I missed it originally. That paint job is one of the nicest colours I've seen from that era, I have a 93' BOTE and love the early 90s Cannondales.

Love the back story as well, you've put a lot of effort into finding preferred parts, well done!
Thanks for your appreciation. Yes, it's not a very special bike but it's very special to me and that is what matters. And surprizingly even the parts are not the fanciest one, it has not been the easiest task to find them. But a lot of fun and learning.

Last edited:
I think it's a nice build, and the story behind it. Personally i like the components selected. Stem is amazing, hubs are great, seatpost and saddle are lovely.
Good to see you don't let yourself down by thieves, got your revenge on life...

Last edited:
Today replaced the black LX cranks with bright ones. Especially the black big ring goes well with the black rims. Still thinking if trying to get original Wolber rims would be worth it, or is this the happy end of the journey?
IMG_0435.JPEG

Last edited:
I think it's very nice. I vote for those wolber rims if you ask me. But i guess you can use it like this, and keep an eye open for those AT 400's, they will pop up sooner or later.
Really like the snow downhill ride pic in that oldschool gear..

Back