Can fixed BB cups be removed from the BB body?

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
I need a lot of threads on the RHS of my bottom bracket (due to partial light thread strip). A UN-300 appears to have loads of thread on the RH cup. The bearings will likely be cheapo though as they can be bought pretty cheaply in the right place.
Therefore, does a RH cup come off the 'body' of the BB itself easily enough, even though I've only ever found they're 'fixed'? Fixed with a bit of glue? Stick it in a vice and whack gently to pop the main body out?!
Such that I might be able to use the cup on a 'better' BB...with fingers crossed and the wind blowing in the right direction...
Cheers

Re:

Bb-un300 looks to use the old style setup so they should just come off the same, both side.
Either hit them off, use something to dissolve the friction pad thing interface.
To be honest, just use the bottom bracket as is, doubt they are as bad as you think. Just won't have the chromed axle surface.

Re:

Ive always wondered the sane but for different reason: New bearings in an xtr m952 bb. Never had the balls to try on a good bb though, waiting to see once I wear one out.

Re: Re:

ishaw":1gjca09m said:
Ive always wondered the sane but for different reason: New bearings in an xtr m952 bb. Never had the balls to try on a good bb though, waiting to see once I wear one out.
? 952 is different, the drive side is part of the shell body, like later UN series.

ishaw":gmorz2yo said:
Yes, always wondered if there was a way of getting the bearings out.
Ah sorry, this topic is about the threaded cups holding whole cartridge in the frame, not the bearings.

If you search for un90/91 or M900 probably find us taking one apart, if you can get the seals of and push the bearing holder away, then you could move the axle and exchange the bearings.
By the time you need bearings, you'll need a new race surface too.
I've only ever taken mine apart (un90) just to see.

FluffyChicken":3nlvd4r9 said:
ishaw":3nlvd4r9 said:
Yes, always wondered if there was a way of getting the bearings out.
Ah sorry, this topic is about the threaded cups holding whole cartridge in the frame, not the bearings.

If you search for un90/91 or M900 probably find us taking one apart, if you can get the seals of and push the bearing holder away, then you could move the axle and exchange the bearings.
By the time you need bearings, you'll need a new race surface too.
I've only ever taken mine apart (un90) just to see.

Aren't the balls placed directly into the machined groove on the axle in th UN90, like in the UN7x series BBs? They- 90s and 70s - look very similar to each other to me.

Re:

Same as far as I remember, except if you take the plastic cage/holder out of the way, the balls all fall to one side.
But I can't remember how difficult it became after that to push the axle to the side.
Hacksaws are much easier.

Back