Can anyone help identify this bike

Kein Kochendes

Retro Newbie
Hello,

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong category to post this question. I am trying to identify the era of this butcher/ service bike. I am in Chile but when i purchased it I was told it was an English bike. The shell width of the bottom bracket is 65mm and the inner thread diameter is 35mm. I use it allot and am considering the idea of changing the bottom bracket to a sealed type with squared taper.

Thanks,
Kein

Attachments

• IMG-20201121-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20201121-WA0009.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 286
It does not look like a British carrier bike, which usually had rod brakes, a fatter front tyre, and bolted seat stays, not brazed.
This could be locally made from possibly britsh imported components.
Keith

I'm sure I've seen british ones with brazed seat stays. Although we've got 5 and all of them are bolted.

The frame looks like a Raleigh with the second horizontal top tube. Age is difficult as they stayed pretty much the same from the 1910's until the 1960's.

From my limited knowledge - very early ones have cotters for the bottom bracket as well as for the cranks.

If it has a geared rear hub then it will be later.

If you can find a sealed bottom bracket that fits then go for it. Nice to one still in use.

Re:

I believe the rear wheel was a replaced at some point, as it has a german brand coaster brake hub, and perhaps the brakes were removed. The front wheel I also believe to be a replacement as it has currently a 20" wheel with thread for a sprocket, which is wider than a regular front wheel.
Another characteristic is that it has hand painted gold color detail lines along the frame and fork.

In any case, thanks for your comments. I love this bike and it has been extremely useful under my ownership.

Latest posts

Back