Can anyone date/ID this Bonty...

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
IMG_3878.jpg

Privateer OR, right?

But any idea on the year? I had a look on the catalogs on here, and couldn't find that colourscheme.

Waiting on a serial number, maybe, to help ID.

Also, what can all the Bonty heads tell me about this model, anything interesting I should know? And about, those forks, specifically. Is that the original spec fork?

Bonty seat post too, right?

Serial update: B005666

So the devil's bike then!

Any opinions on whether the above is worth a punt are welcome!

I have no idea, honestly.

I assumed Privateer based on decals, but I really know nothing about Bontrager's other than that I like how they look, and that I always hear how well they ride.

Hoping for some advice/info from those that know a little more.

And hoping this is a pre-Trek something or other worth getting!

Showed up on my radar last night for what seems like a very good price.

Depending on what it actually is, of course!

It also looks BIG.

Which is sort of appealing in a "might be good for a cruising/camping/touring build" kind-of-way!

This crazy one:

Hello, Recent arrival. By way of introduction, back in '96, my golf clubs were stolen. I replaced them with a mountain bike on the theory that if you are going to spend that much time in the woods, you should have a legit excuse. LBS talked me into a Bontrager Privateer and I guess I drank the Kool-Aid because I still have it, and still want it, and don't want anything else (well, maybe a recumbent). Mine has a few ridiculous upgrades -- S&S couplings, anyone? -- but it still looks and rides like the original.

TB03 Day 1 001.JPG

Looks to have the same paint job? And is allegedly a Privateer from 96. Or it was, before it got RoboCop'd!

Isn't @sinnerman the resident expert?

Based on his notes in the Show Us Your Bonty thread, vertical drop outs (this seems to have them) mean Race or Race Lite. The guides are welded, and the rear cable stop is on the rear of the seat tube, I think. Which would mean pre-94?

But the one above is allegedly a 96 and a Privateer and looks just like this one.

In one other photo I have, the downtube gusset looks to be the bulkier kind:

IMG_3877.jpg

Oh, I don't know.

I'm talking to myself.

And in circles, at that.

Last edited:
it's clearly a Privateer from 1996, it was in black w/grey decals available, I had one too a few years ago.
It's indeed not in most catalogs, but i found a while ago this picture somewhere.
2CA57CD8-2B55-49EB-8BED-8A58B94EA089.jpeg
(the "S" is just the variant with special RS Quadra, without S the one with Rigid fork)

just small Privateer decal seem to be removed (by cutting the banderole off, just have a look), due to obvious reasons ;)
20190705_193007.jpg

It has also 1" steerer (just 1998 privateer got finally 1 1/8 ).

So no exclusive bike, but a solid and good ride. I've been told the weight difference to the Race is not significant at all.
Have fun with it!

Last edited:
I have the same, but with Quadra 21R. Privateer form after the Trek takeover. Probably 1996.
It is a nice frame. Slim tubing and many (but not all) Bontrager characteristics are still there.

Back