Campagnolo Bottom Bracket question

Ivan R

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I am building my first bike
My question is what kind of bottom bracket I have to use in particular the size of the axle length?
I have an old swiss frame with an Italian threaded bottom bracket the size of the bottom bracket shell is 68mm
I am planning to use campagnolo centaur 10-speed groupset and campagnolo veloce ergopower shifters

I will appreciate any recommendation

Regards,
Ivan
IMG_20210507_170459.jpg
IMG_20210507_173019_1.jpg

Campag 111mm bottom bracket. The Centaur one is good.
Record / Chorus ones are too short for your chainset.

careful! if you've measured the BB correctly then it can't be italian and 68mm... If it's definitely 68mm then it can only be either english, french or swiss threaded. Check the thread direction on the drive side, if left hand threaded it's either english or swiss, if right hand threaded it's french.
If left hand threaded, then carefully thread an english bb fixed cup in , and see how it feels... if it only goes in a turn or so at most and then gets stuck, you've almost certainly got a swiss BB. if it threads in fine all the way, it's an english threaded BB.

If it turns out to be english threaded then you need the 111mm campag BB that hamster posted

If it's french or swiss then best bet would be to find a threadless BB, or mash something up various cup and cone BBs. If it's swiss then you're probably out of luck and the only option is a threadless BB. Or getting it retapped to italian thread...

careful! if you've measured the BB correctly then it can't be italian and 68mm... If it's definitely 68mm then it can only be either english, french or swiss threaded. Check the thread direction on the drive side, if left hand threaded it's either english or swiss, if right hand threaded it's french.
If left hand threaded, then carefully thread an english bb fixed cup in , and see how it feels... if it only goes in a turn or so at most and then gets stuck, you've almost certainly got a swiss BB. if it threads in fine all the way, it's an english threaded BB.

If it turns out to be english threaded then you need the 111mm campag BB that hamster posted

If it's french or swiss then best bet would be to find a threadless BB, or mash something up various cup and cone BBs. If it's swiss then you're probably out of luck and the only option is a threadless BB. Or getting it retapped to italian thread...
HI Foz,
You are absolutely right. I look like that I have swiss threaded BB.
Do you think is possible BB to be retapped to English?
I have English threaded BB at the moment

Thank you

IMG_20210507_190716.jpg
IMG_20210507_190909.jpg

Retapping to english would probably not work, as swiss thread is 35mm diameter while english is 1.37" which is slightly less, also the thread is the same direction. Italian is 36mm diameter and the other direction (on the drive side at least) so is more likely to give you decent thread. A threadless BB might be the best solution, if you can find one with the correct spindle

Back