Cable Guide - Hmm looks wrong to me?

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Afternoon chaps.

Hope y'all watching the tour :cool:

OK so I have been stressing over this cable guide business, I had to break the rivet out the old one when I had the frame painted and it was recommended to me to buy the one below, but I have had no way of installing it as there is just a clean hole in the frame.

I looked at tap and die as a solution and I thought I had a tap and die set but cannot find it so then I thought, what about a self tapping screw or just try and screw new threads into the hole, so thats what I did :oops:

Pleased to say, it worked :LOL: but... (always a but isn't there) :roll: I am not convinced that I ether have the right part or even if its installed right way round or what's going on.

To me at least it looks odd, theres no clear line of sight for the cable to run, it's going to snag at an angle to get through this guide and cut through it, is it not?

Maybe when the cable is in it will be alright, I dunno, but I wanted to ask the powers that be to see if they can spot anything or if indeed this guide is wrong for this frame.

Piccies :cool:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 296
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 296
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 296
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 296
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 296
No mate I don't think so, I tried it the other way and the long part of the plastic just hits the chain stay bits and won't sit flush at all.

Problem solved :cool:

Thanks fellas for the input and having me look at this from a different angle.

OK so the problem was, it wasn't the right part! :roll: :facepalm: So no one buy YF 007 because it does not contour to the frame.

When laid on the frame the correct way round it snags and the curvature is too high for it to lay flush on the frame. I guess you could try and bend it or heat it with steam but that's garbage, right part for the right job is what's needed.

Luckily I had my original one, and on it went, screw went through the hole and thankfully it nipped up really tight again.

Phew.. relieved to have this one sorted, new cables and pedals coming, am only needing proper bar tape and a braze on clamp and shes ready to roll :shock:

Piccies for those of you out there like me doing this for the first time and don't have a clue what to do. I find just finding a bolt just larger than the hole and make sure its a hex head because you will not be able to get enough torque with a posi head, just thread the hole with a new screw, mine was 5-6mm long and in it goes and it's a nice tight fit :D

Thanks again fellas.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 278
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 278
Re:

The lifted bit with the wrong contour would after a bit of use contour correctly. It would distort to fit with pressure as you change gear

I did wonder that pigman but it took so much pressure to make the plastic bend to where it needed to be I feared if I screwed it in it may pop the screw back out again. Had I not had the original I would have used steam from the kettle to try and get a better bend on it and fit.

That's the "usual" way to get them to fit.
Boiling water and a rag to press into place.

Latest posts

Back