98 clockwork - rebuild take 2

Re:

Ah, could be a C16 then, as 1997 clockwork and P7 had the slot at the rear. By no means certain though, they seem to be constantly changing things on these frames!

Re:

Are there 2 Crud Catcher mount bosses on the underside of the down tube? Can't see any rack mount bosses either side of the rear mono stay – the C16r had these. Also missing from the mono stay is the braze on for rear brake cable routing which would mean the frame is V-brake specific may be late 90s.

Re: My first Orange.

wiggviv":1f4y9y3g said:
c16r june 1997 my guess

I'm happy with that birthday, makes it exactly 20 years my junior, and should be ready to hit the trails on it's 20th birthday (and my 40th)... hopefully a bit sooner but that'll do as a deadline...

groovyblueshed":1f4y9y3g said:
Are there 2 Crud Catcher mount bosses on the underside of the down tube? Can't see any rack mount bosses either side of the rear mono stay – the C16r had these. Also missing from the mono stay is the braze on for rear brake cable routing which would mean the frame is V-brake specific may be late 90s.

Yes to crud catcher mounts and no to rack mount bosses.

Made a start at putting it together. Considering I'm using just what I've found in my stash I'm quite pleased with how its coming together. Build may be subject to change in future but the priority is to get it riding - upgrades and tweaks can happen over time.

Here's how it stands this evening:

30364320144_8dabca2093_b.jpg

I quite like the gold of the FSA headset - was intended for another build but I reckon it works. Of course I am colourblind so feel free to disagree... bars and stem originally came with my Rockhopper (now has drop bars and a short stem) but branding aside can't see any reason not to use them on this.

31071217891_f88067385e_b.jpg

Seatpost proves I need a better (or at least longer) 27.2 one... Forks are Rock Shox Indy SL. Very cheap off ebay. Decals were horrible so I took them off. They're light and seem to be working as they should - probably good enough for my level of riding/weight. We'll see. Wheels were bought off here and are quite nice, DX hubs, FIR M122 rims. Tyres were lying around and need using!

Probably a stupid question. But if the slot in the seat tube's at the front does the clamp need to go the "wrong" way round too? I just tried it and it looks funny...I suppose it would still work the other way round... How did Orange do it?

Back