Build Dilemma - Orange Alu Elite Vs Orange O2

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So here's my dilemma...

Lurking in the garage I have an Orange O2 - previously built with XT kit and it was a lovely ride.

Also lurking in the garage is an Orange Aluminium Elite. I bought it ages ago with a load of kit on it that I sold off - and kept the frame which is pretty tatty. A203nnnn serial puts is pretty early on the production run I think?

Comments I've read suggest the Elite is a nice ride - compared to the Alu O which I also have in the garage.

So do I build the Elite and see if I like it - given that seat-post and front mech are the same as the O2 - and I have some M900 lying around - but I would need to find some 1.25" forks for it - and if I do like it, get the frame refurbed.

Or stick with the O2 that I have RC30s, stem and M950 - and see if someone wants to do an Elite restoration project.

If you have any bits that might be useful for an Elite build - as in forks/stem - feel free to chip in :LOL:

Re:

build the bike, but fit the other bike 1 1/4, if you like it get something proper for it, but with reducer (about ten to fifteen pounds) and go 1 1/8"

or just go 1 1/8" and build another bike and have you choice of fork, headset and stems.

Re:

Great minds think alike - I'd just been chatting to a buddy about using a headset reducer and trying the RC30 on the Elite - and doing a Franken-build just to try it out....

Cheers :)

A productive day....
The garage has been plundered - various bits found - and the Alu Elite and the O2 are taking shape nicely.

The Elite is having a slightly more retro biased build - XTR M900 - Tune Cranks - and an old pair of RS Indy forks for now.
I need to find some brake levers for this from another box or bag stashed in the garage. Waiting on the headset reducer to arrive so I can fettle that and fit the forks.

The O2 has some Tune wheels with 1 tubeless NobbyNic so far. Pace RC30, M952 shifters, any ole bars, stem & levers.
Need to sort the BB as the Hope one I have doesn't seem to want to fit :(

Re:

So the O2 now looks a bit like this......

image1-9.jpeg

Pace RC30 - Tune Hubs and Crest Rims.
image3-3.jpeg

Tune Bigfoot and Tune rings on an XTR BB
image5-2.jpeg

Found the RD-M950 I knew I had somewhere from the Sub 3
image4-3.jpeg

Also found the Ritchey V-brakes I was after.....
image2-9.jpeg

I have some RC30 V-Brake adapters somewhere - but haven't found them yet - so if anybody has some......
Have some brake levers on the way from eBay....

It's a funny old world.....
The O2 is pretty much complete and with Wadsy for a fettle. Just waiting on some Syntace bars to arrive and it will be complete.
Pics etc once it's done.

The Aluminium Elite - is going to be looking for a new home. The head tube had a crack in it that has been welded, so it needs "banding" to ride it. It also needs to be stripped, polished and loved - and I'm not feeling that love as I have a new project to play with.

Re:

I’ve always wanted to do an aluminium elite - def go with that. Loads of NOS on the states to go with that.

Back