British Eagle with Pics !!

Flashspix

Dirt Disciple
Been checking this forum for some info on the British Eagle Kinetic that I picked up recently.

The spec is a relatively good one Frame is Reynolds 531 and as light as my Boardman Team Race Alu bike at 10.5kg

It runs on a Shimano 500EX 12 speed group set, (I think thats the 105) including hubs that roll on rigida wheels.

Currently fettling it hard, rear wheel's wobble wasn't fixed by changing out the hub bearings, badly buckled, but I know a man ;) the images of the bike were as I found it, I think it rains neat oil wherever the previous owner lives, it was caked in it, it's cleaning up nice though the decals are letting it down, loathe to strip them off without having a replacement set, the ones I've seen on line are for the MTB (They all look a bit naff tbh) any of the fine chaps or lasses in here that do decals, I'm well up for a deal.

p1942196017-4.jpg

p1888979434-4.jpg

p2000811126-4.jpg

Looks like a nice machine and should clean up nicely. :)
Decals don't look too bad but if you need new ones then contact GilM on here or if your on facebook he is 'retrodecals' on there.
Best of luck with it and keep us updated. Should most likely start a thread on the readers rides section so you can update as and when.

Jamie

Hi Retro, I think they were a Welsh outfit based near Powys. They had an association with Falcon and Coventry Eagle between 89 and 94 I think.

Barry Hoban was their marketing director one of our best TDF riders holding records until Cav started winning stages for fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Hoban

Unusual brand not much stuff on the net about them

I think that they made three models.

I've recently picked up a British Eagle Kinetic 500EX, mine has decals - 'British Eagle Kinetic 500EX' but it also has large (original) decals saying 'Hybrid' and '50/50'. It is surprisingly light - I wonder how the frame differs (if at all), from the Kinetic road bike ?

Re:

Do you happen to know if British eagle were also an outlet for Vitus steel frames in the mid-late 80s? I have a Vitus decaled, sv980 frame which has a label on the seat tube saying British eagle cycles, Powys, who I assumed to be the seller or builder since it turned up near London so I doubt it was a previous owners LBS!

Looks like it'll make a nice ride, but 42x28/25 gearing does make for pain come the hills!

Rich

Re:

Hi, your frame is a Virus Tri-Sport. They were produced with Super Virus (sv)980 tubing. I have one from new, they're very rare. An excellent, very high quality frame. Mine is built up with mid-range Campag and Easton wheels. Very under rated.

Latest posts

Back