Brian Curtis BMX Bike...

MartyP

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,
New on this today so Hello!

Since rebuilding a 1950 Claud Butler road bike into a retro fixie, i've got back into bikes - really into BMX back in the early 80's and it's all come flooding back... (wish I still had my 1982 Kuwahara ET Rep!).

...but what I have come across is a nice Brian Curtis chrome BMX frame that's just missing a front wheel and handlebars! Doing the numbers, it looks as if it's a 1984 'Expert' or similar with what looks like the original cycle parts - Black rear Skyway Tuff II, Kashimax Aero saddle, MX seat clamp, fluted post, Tracer crankset, Shimano DX pedals and Suntour Stem...

After speaking to the man, himself, today (Brian Curtis), it seems that he only made about 100 of these so must be pretty rare and wondering whether to be rebuild it or not? It's in pretty decent condition really for a 26 year old racer with only a bit of light surface rust here and there...

Anyone into these at all?

Cheers,
Martin.

Attachments

• Brian Curtis Frameset 1.jpg
    Brian Curtis Frameset 1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,615
  • Brian Curtis N-S L-R.jpg
    Brian Curtis N-S L-R.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,613
  • Brian Curtis O-S L-R.jpg
    Brian Curtis O-S L-R.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,613
  • Brian Curtis Back L-R.jpg
    Brian Curtis Back L-R.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,612
Hi Martin

I know it’s been twelve years since since you posted this and it’s a total long shot but I believe I was the original owner of this bike back in the early eighties. I worked a seven day paper round for over 2 years to save up the money for this bike so as you can imagine it holds huge sentimental value for me.

The items on the bike (skyways etc) we’re all hand picked by me and I bought the bike from a bmx shop in Basingstoke completely custom built. Your correct the frame was a limited edition by Brian Curtis. I had several friends at the time who had regular Brian Curtis bikes which I coveted but when these frames came out it was love at first site and I had to have one. I was never a very good bmx’er so it had a pretty easy life.
Unfortunately my brother borrowed the biker once I’d left home and it was stolen outside the local shops near my parents place in Milton Keynes in the early nineties.
If anyone knows where the bike is now I’d love to be reunited with and would be happy to pay a good price for it.

Thanks

Iain

Back