Brake parts!

Danthefestaman

Dirt Disciple
Being quite a novice on retro bikes is it possible to buy parts to repair canti brakes? I have a Gary fisher wahoo with altus brakes and a Marin with gs200 brakes both of which need a little TLC. I know the altus suffer the plastic rings cracking, are these available? Also guess as new set of springs would help. Also what brake pads/blocks are available?

Re:

Sadly, for that age and level of component you’re better off sourcing whole brakes rather than trying to find parts. Altus brakes don’t cost much or you could find some cheap period alternative like Tektro. If you consider you can get a full set of these, including new brake pads, for £20 it’s not a bad deal
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektro-865a- ... 4271647344

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Apologies for jumping in on this thread, would the Tektro 865a brakes fit a mountain bike from the mid '90s? I really like the look of them but noticed they're marketed as low profile cyclocross brakes.

Should fit no problem, I don´t see the geometry being any different than low profile Shimano cantis from the early 90´s. (If your frame does not have a canti bridge you´ll need a separate hanger though)

Back