Bought LX M560 shifters but one not working properly.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
They came from Hungary, the right hand shifter doesn't index properly at all.
This was on ebay,
They arrived yesterday.
If they didn't come from Hungary it would be easier to sort it out as they took 3 and 1/2 weeks to come.
Not bothered about the postage time but the faulty lever isn't good.

Luckily I won a set for £34 posted while waiting for these as I thought it can't hurt to have a spare set or sell it on.

I have read about repairing the shifter but has anyone actually repaired an LX M560 rapid fire shifter?

Or should I ask seller for a part refund?

The condition is very good.

Thanks for any helpful comments.

And isn't it just the old grease issue, that some push-push/rapidfire mechanisms have?
It happens to most of them, and even working shifter can stop working after not being used for a while. I personally flush it with WD-40, but it can also be properly redone (dismantled, cleaned, freshly greased).
Appologies if you've tried this and it is something more difficult, this is just the first thing to think of.

Agreed. The first generation of rapidfire were really poor, but most of the later ones have come good with a blast of GT85 and a bit of patience.

Had a few in various states of use, agreed open up and flush it out with WD40 or similar, dismantling as far as you’re confident going (take photos as you go to aid putting it back together). Care activating the mechanism whilst apart.
What have you got to lose?

Took the dust cover off and the nut and GT85 and toothbrush and it works.

White grease isn't it....might do all four now and re-grease them, or if it's not broke don't fix it :D

Back