Bottom bracket cups?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I'm upgrading a bike to Dura Ace 74XX, I have a 7410 chainset to fit, which needs a 103mm axle length. Genuine Dura Ace 103mm BB's are hard to find/expensive so in the interim I got a cheap thing from ebay 68x103mm.
The Drive side is wound all the way in, the non-drive side is also all the way in but seems to be sitting a bit deeper in the BB shell than I expected, I'm used to it sitting a bit further out on a Shimano BB, if anything I was expecting it to sit flush with the outside of the BB shell at least.
It is a 68mm BB shell I'm sure of it.

Is this just a characteristic of the cheap bottom bracket I bought?
There is more than enough clearance between crank arm and chainstay (they're low profile cranks anyway).
I'm assuming it's fine to use as it is, both sides of the BB are tightened up fine.
?

Attachments

• DSC_0539_copy_1238x2201.jpg
    DSC_0539_copy_1238x2201.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 266
That does look like it's sitting well inside. The BB outside edge looks stepped almost.
Non drive side?

Jamie

Re:

Yeah that's the non-drive side.
I think this afternoon I'll try a Shimano part in there and see if there's a difference

Re:

hmmm...Definitely 68 bb shell? if 73 then its a 68 in a 73. Will work, I've done it when I was in a fix. Make sure you install cheapo BBs with lots of copper grease - if tight they can round off really easily and then the Big Extraction Hassle starts.

They do normally go in a bit more flush than that. As the others have said, can you put a ruler across the bb shell and check it's 68mm?

Back