Bontrager Privateer

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
A couple months ago I shared a picture of a Bontrager Privateer frame.

51440405911_639846e65d_c.jpg

I do not only have the frame, it is a full bike I acquired. I rebuilt it with original parts and a couple upgrades and this is how it looks like now.

51826776088_ed16171521_h.jpg

The Privateer: the Privateer is not built in Santa Cruz like the Race (Lite) and Off Road models are. The Privateer models were issued around late 1995 and were built by Trek after the takeover. They are Made in the USA frames and share a lot charateristics with the Race (Lite), but not all. The aim was a more affordable way to ride and enjoy a Bontrager. The Race and Race Lite frames were very expensive to build. The same route was followed at Klein after the Trek takeover.

Bontrager characteristics:
- True Temper tubing
- gussets under down- and toptube
- Bontrager typical dropouts
- slim monostay
- geometry
- the black Rock Shox crown

Unlike the Race (Lite) the Privateer has no gussets near the bottom bracket. Ik think the tubing spec is different. The Race and Lite frames have a powder coat with seperate panels that can easily be replaced. That is not the case with the Privateer: it has a wetpaint and all graphics are applied under a clear coat.

More pictures soon.

Specifications
Fork: RockShox Quadra 21R
Headset: Tange Levin
Stem: Bontrager 4130 HT
Handlebar: Bontrager Race + B.E.R.T.S inserts
Saddle: Bontrager
Seatpost: Kalloy SP248
Brakes: LX
Brake Pads: LX
Cantilever cable hangers: ONZA Chill Pill
Brake Levers: Diacompe PC-7
Shifters: GripShift SRT800 x-ray
Front Derailleur: LX
Rear Derailleur: XT
Cranks: LX
Chainrings: LX
Bottom Bracket: LX
Hub Skewers: Trek (F), LX (R)
Rims: Bontrager BCX 3
Hubs: Trek System 2 (F), LX (R)
Tyres: ONZA Rip and Rail

Thanks!

When I was young I liked the Bontragers al lot. In 1994 I bought the plain gauge Titanium handle bar. It is now on my Technium. I bought it through a mail order shop. Bontrager was never officially distributed. Also the later Privateers not. The bar offered the oppertunity to experience a bit of Bontrager. It is the same with this Privateer. I acquired it for an attractive sum and it started a nice journey.

Very nice indeed. I had one just like that , but the paint was poor so I powder coated it in red and kept for a couple of years until I got a race lite. yours looks a bit bigger too, is it 19" c-c? that would make it an XL.

The drop outs on privateers are different to the race / race lites - they are forged rather than plate steel - another cost saving measure that doesn't detract from the overall ride & handling.

I don't have a link, but there was a quote from a trek employee saying that the privateer was the best and most expensive frame they produced due to bontrager's exacting standards.

anyway here is a link to what i did with mine

Very nice indeed. I had one just like that , but the paint was poor so I powder coated it in red and kept for a couple of years until I got a race lite. yours looks a bit bigger too, is it 19" c-c? that would make it an XL.

The drop outs on privateers are different to the race / race lites - they are forged rather than plate steel - another cost saving measure that doesn't detract from the overall ride & handling.

I don't have a link, but there was a quote from a trek employee saying that the privateer was the best and most expensive frame they produced due to bontrager's exacting standards.

anyway here is a link to what i did with mine

My Privateer is a 19" frame. Great result you achieved with your old Privateer. The paint on my frame showed a couple spots, but black can easily be corrected. Black=black.

Personally I think this bike would benefit from a segmented fork. I can't blame the Trek take over for not having one. Suspension was the new trend in de mid 90s.

Perfect Bontrager. I never rode a Quadra. Suspension from that era was primitive but we had fun w/ them so i guess we can still ride it... I am fan now of big fat tires. It´s the only thing i would change there.

Back