BMX, your thoughts?

expandingmaan

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
Even though Ive been in the market for a MTB - which I what I had been used to riding.
However, ive havent ridden a BMX since I was possibly 10 years old. (it got stolen). i had a lovely chrome retro BMX

Can a tall adult ride a BMX with comfort?
and how about commuting on one? - this is where i see issues

if anyone here can share their experiences?
Thank you for your time and efforts

Occasional playtime at the track, trails or park would be okay. Although at 6"2 and heavier than ever I doubt ill be riding my Hoffman much more. Commuting......unless its round the corner i wouldnt.

Unless you can get away with a 24"inched wheeled cruiser bmx?

You can certainly use a bmx when tall, plenty of bikes with long top tubes designed for 6ft plus riders. Riding one as a bike though would be hard over long distances, unless you managed to find a very long seat post, as the frames are low. Also very heavy for their size. 24" would be an option, like above, but still low frames for everyday riding.

I had one in the 90s and at 5 11 I found it wasn't something I could ride for more than 20 minutes or so. Basically, I was standing all of the time and fairly hunched over the front.

I have had a lot more fun with small framed retro mountain bike equipped with BMX bars and a layback seat post though. It gave me the same feeling as riding one when I was a child, but much more useable (inc for commuting). Also removes the arse in the air position if your back can no longer take it.

Retired my skyway burner many many many years ago, when i got over 5'10", too uncomfortable....could not even make it to the track without feeling crippled....

But a cruiser....there's an idea.

I have had a lot more fun with small framed retro mountain bike equipped with BMX bars and a layback seat post though. It gave me the same feeling as riding one when I was a child, but much more useable (inc for commuting). Also removes the arse in the air position if your back can no longer take it.
This is the sort of thing I am aiming to do soon to relive my misspent youth? 🙂

I spent a summer in my late teens (I was about 6’ tall at the time) commuting 4 miles each way to a factory job on my Raleigh Burner I don’t remember why I ended up doing it on a BMX as I had a Raleigh MTrax around the same time - possibly I didn’t want to leave the Mtrax in the factory bike rack.

Anyway, as has been mentioned already you end up pedalling standing up most of the time and standing up free wheeling the rest of the time. I don’t remember sitting down in a normal cycling position being viable. A short commute chopping and changing through a busy city it might be less of an issue but mine was on long roads and not something I enjoyed.

I had a BMX back when Swap Shop was on, bought a GT Dyno a few years back to rekindle.

Pulled the most amazing frame stand along Baiter Park in Poole, for a few seconds I felt like Mirra.

Until I hit an uneven patch of tarmac, and it came to a bloody and painful end.

Back