Black Rim Options: 1991 to 1994

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
Hello all you experts of mountain bikes, masters of hoarding...

I'm looking for period-correct (ish) suggestions for black rims to go on this current Team Issue project of mine. I'd like something within a margin of realistic choice, so let's say options from around 1991 to 1994, as time periods go.

Campy? Mavic? What models do people like, or recommend?

Any other companies I should look at?

And does anyone have anything they're looking to move on? ;)

Whatever they end up being, they'll be getting built with 32 hole Suntour XC Pro (grease guard) hubs. Just in case that sways anyone's opinions or suggestions at all.

Those hubs are presently laced to some absolutely fine Campagnolo Atek's, but in silver. And I really had my heart set on black for this build.

Should I try to source some Atek's in black?

What do we think?

Was there a typical rim of choice for the Suntour XC Pro group back then?

I'm sure my Eldridge 1991 had wolber....something, definitely black just cant remember the details.
And yes, it's getting hold of stuff Is the challenge.

For a Marin it surely needs to be Araya? The early 90's Pine Mountain and Team had either RM-17's or RM-20. There was a mint set available on here the other day.

For a Marin it surely needs to be Araya? The early 90's Pine Mountain and Team had either RM-17's or RM-20. There was a mint set available on here the other day.

Good info, thanks!

I’m not tied to anything Marin specific or related really, just because this build is going to deviate pretty far from the catalog specs and hopefully the more typical builds you see. Not that I’m reinventing the (retro) wheel or anything!

Had my eye on these FIR rims for a while to go on the P7 to match the ‘Orange jersey logo sponsors’. But in the end stuck with just making the 230TIB match up. So now eed a different bike to suit the rims instead ! Lol

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here’s a couple of options (1 matched pair and 1 single):

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks dude! Was watching the Araya pair already.

Shame the Ritchey doesn't have a twin...

Was also keeping tabs on a pair of Specialized GX26's.

But seems a bit weird to put a Specialized rim on a Marin!

Back