Bike ID - 90's Scottish frame builder?

SantaHul

Retro Guru
I just picked this bike up off eBay for my girlfriend. The seller said it was handmade in the 90's by a Scottish frame builder but couldn't tell me much more than that except it is made from Reynolds 531 (which I believe because it's pretty light). I can't find a serial number but it's been badly resprayed which I think has concealed it - I'll need to get permission from my girlfriend before I can start stripping paint off.

Anybody got any suggestions or at least know of any Scottish frame builders active in the 90's?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Looking at the top of the stays it could well be an Alves. Inverness area builder. Very nicely made frames.

Jamie

pigman

Old School Grand Master
Wester Ross cycles? I assume it was a Scottish firm, but maybe they just used the name

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I am pretty sure Wester Ross had left Scotland for the Lake District by the 90’s.

vcballbat

Senior Retro Guru
I have an Alves 753 frame, it has a Everest bottom bracket shell with no frame number just Alves 753 ... time to get scratching..👍

347751-c9f88dae68218e478d02247a11c8d4c1.jpg

paton

Retro Newbie
Framebuilders at that time in Scotland:

Charles Ralph , Alves, Moray.
charlie.ralph@btinternet.com
(its a while since he stopped building frames)

Clarkston Cycle Centre, Netherlee, Glasgow
(used to repair frames and build some )

Jim Docherty
built some frames at his home in Lochwinnoch, then moved to an industrial unit in Paisley, and then a shop in Glasgow
(He built one or two bikes / frames for Graeme Obree)