Bike build: Converting to a 10 speed

torwebster

Dirt Disciple
Hey All,

A newbie here.

I’ve just started stripping a bike for the misses. She wants a run around that won’t be to desirable to steal, but also want it to be able to come out on rides with me.

It’s a fairly low end diamond back frame which came with some knackered derailleurs, and was a 7 speed.

I was thinking about the logistics of converting to a 10 speed. I’m debating if it’s possible and would run well.

Id happily try source some cheap wheels with 10 speed hubs, or build myself if I sourced the hubs, but I’m finding it tough to source either.

Any ideas on where to look or things I should consider?

Or is it to much effort and worth just sticking with 7 speed?

177E95F4-5175-47DF-A8EC-12018F53F9BC.jpeg

Are you talking about converting to 1x10? Or converting from 3x7 to 3x10 or 2x10?

You can get (from places like AliExpress/eBay) wide range cassettes from 7-speed upwards if you want to change to 1x, staying 7-speed means no need for new wheels too.

When I converted a Kona Hahanna for Mrs jimo it began as 3x7 and I changed it to 1x7 with a 32T chainring and a slightly wider range 7-speed cassette. She doesn't ride much, and invariably the rides are fairly sedate, not the kind of riding I'd usually do, but for her needs the 1x7 has all the gearing she's likely to need.
And as the bike sees little use i didn't see the point of spending £££'s on new 10 speed drivetrain, wheels etc

Gone down the x10 route (1x10) myself and it can get expensive pretty quickly. I'd go with @jimo746 suggestion, i know i would if i was doing it again in the future

I maybe sounded like i was trying to put you off going to 10 speed, which I'm not!
I'd first check the rear wheel spacing is 135mm, then you'll know if more modern 10-speed hubs + cassette will fit.
Then you'll need shifter(s), mech(s), chain, chainring/Chainset, cassette, suitable wheels.
It's certainly possible to do, and should run well once set up.

to convert that you'd need at the minimum a new freehub body (depends on the current rear wheel), possibly even a new hub (and wheelbuild) or full wheel. plus cassette, chain, shifter, then that would mean a new rear mech too. and probably at least one chainring... so can quickly get expensive. 7 speed works great, is more "fit and forget", lasts forever, and is very cheap - if it was mine I'd leave as 7 speed.

Back