Barn find zaskar now oranges helping neighbour

This is somebody from nearby house i'd never met until she knocked on the door asking about bike repairs. I said i'd be charging for this one after the car crash that was the zaskar. Again, everything needed cleaning, missing bits sourcing from spares boxes, setting up and greasing. about seven hours total for both bikes. If I said £50 plus the parts i'd be under minimum wage.

If you'd done a worse job on the Zaskar she wouldn't have asked again.

Asked for £80 all in. includes BB, uno stem, 2 x qr seat clamps, lots of annoying fiddly bits that took ages to find.

The wife’s sister paid £150 last month for her LBS to index the gears, maybe a new chain & casette.
The bloke opposite me at work paid £350 the other week for new cables & a rear derailleur.
Both bikes would have required someone to pay us to even have them in storage and scrap metal value to average joe On the street.

Halfords charge over £20 to fix a puncture. My LBS charges £20 to just look at it.

£10phr is like the London living wage.

Pimlico plumbers charge £150 to give you the quote for the actual job 😂

going rate when I was in workshops was 20 quid an hour, 1 hour minimum fee. so changing a puncher was officially 20 quid. if the shop was busy then that was the case, otherwise it was at the discretion of the manager (who happened to own the shop too), if you passed the attitude test it was a fiver, if you didn't it was a sliding scale to 20 quid.
specific tasks had specific amount of time. changing cables on a road bike (reusing tape) was a 2 hours job (took me 1/2 hour normally), new cassette and chain was a 1 hour job, full service was 4 hour on a full sus, 3 on a hardtail and 2 hour on a road bike. kids bikes sat somewhere in the mix.

I would have thought the 20 quid an hour would have gone up by now as too would the amount of time.

Back