An FSX Inspired 1994 Specialized S-Works M2 (Finished pics page... 16!)

Oooh good evening, a jmc inspired red s-works, what's not to love :D

I shall be keeping an eye on this, and as I'm sure you've figured by now, this WILL get expensive :LOL:

I'm too afraid to tally up my totals already...

I’m looking forward to this one, you’ve got off to a great start with the forks, they might be the best con I’ve ever seen 👍

Yeah, having seen a few posted since, for more than I paid and in worse shape, I'm pretty happy with the quality Vs price I paid for these.

I did, but you've given the game away a little there, haven't you? ;)

As for shipping... I've actually offered my services to a couple of people on here already! More than happy to help out if someone needs it. I get pretty decent UPS rates through work, but it's still probably only worth it for larger bits, or if you don't mind waiting and combining a few things to make it worth your while! Usually around $60-70 to ship from here to there.

I wouldn't trust the post office with anything, not after this build! (More on that next post).
Ops...sorry 😬

I'm too afraid to tally up my totals already...
Haha I totally understand that one, I genuinely think with what I now have in mine, I wouldn't be far off what the original ex-jmc bike that Jason's dad sold a few years back, actually went for on ebay lol 🙈

I'm now afraid to even ask how much that went for, for fear of knowing how little whatever I end up with stands to be worth!

That said, I think we all know a bike rarely adds up to the sum of it's parts!

I can tell you if you'd like, it wasn't actually as much as I had expected it to go for if I'm honest, and I think I was very lucky in that I made the decision to buy the basis of what mine was to become, and source the parts to make it what it now is, before the prices of things seemed to hit where we are now, as I definitely couldn't afford to build what I have, now, if that makes sense lol 🙈

It does. And my bank manager agrees.

(Only joking, I don't have enough money to need someone to manage it!)

OK, a quiet half hour at work, so time for another update...

Well, this was quite the palaver! Having ordered a White Industries headset from eBay (one the aforementioned exceptions to the "period plan", I figured this would be an acceptable anomaly, seeing as how I was planning to run a decent spread of White Industries parts throughout as a nod to the Hot Rod spec above), I ended up waiting 4 weeks or so for it to arrive. Only for USPS to finally admit defeat having lost it somewhere along the way! Nice. Anyway, case filed; case closed. The seller issued a refund but the problem was, with new part's being high in demand right now, the one that had gone missing appeared to be the last one left on the continental US! I couldn't locate another anywhere, so, frustrated and depressed, I moved on to other areas, knowing White Industries would get more in stock eventually.

Well, fast forward a couple of months and I get an eBay alert to say the same seller now had them back in stock. A 10% discount and free priority shipping later, this arrived at work:

IMG_6499.jpeg IMG_7597.jpeg

Duly fitted that evening during a spare hour before dinner (we just adopted a dog, so this build has already slowed down exponentially; suddenly a free hour is very, very hard to find!)

IMG_6594.jpeg IMG_7337.jpeg

I did manage to scuff and chip some of the preliminary nail polish work getting it on, but the plan was always to touch up with a third and fourth layer at the end, so I'm just going to have to be extra neat and tidy with the brush and masking tape now!

Meanwhile, that slightly off-center "W" is eating away at my OCD.

Anyway, the next morning...

IMG_7343.jpeg

IMG_7344.jpeg IMG_7346.jpeg

This arrived with a pretty scratched-up logo, so that was removed with some elbow grease and then the whole thing polished up. I may source a decal to replace it at some point, but I do quite like the minimal shininess right now (shout-outs to Peachy for the Maas proselytizing!)

As I mentioned earlier, the stem clamp was far too tight to fit comfortably over the steerer, so with a little forum guidance I hit the inside of the stem and the top few inches of the steerer with a few grades of wet-and-dry, followed by the reverse bolt coin trick, and she slipped on like a glove...

IMG_7358.jpeg IMG_7362.jpeg

Okay, so that's us kind of up to date for now. More to follow next week, hopefully...

Unless I get bored and decide to give you guys an exciting paint job update in the meantime!

Last edited:
Good news on the headset, they are sublime. And nice find re the short Profile Design stem. (Or is it a Shorty?)
How comes you’ve opted for the black top cap?
& more importantly, what are you going to do with the long groovy WI sticker? 😁
Ps I had the WI industry round stickers made up because they normally come black on white & I wanted clear. PM me if you’re interested in some, I’m pretty sure I’ve got spares of large & small with clear & white background.

2F403B57-CD13-4856-9A00-8FB8ECAA8F5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Good news on the headset, they are sublime. And nice find re the short Profile Design stem. (Or is it a Shorty?)
How comes you’ve opted for the black top cap?

It's a shorty! Black cap to break up all that shiny silver a little; to match the color scheme of the forks, and as another little nod to the JMC steed:

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 11.37.34 PM.png

As for that groovy long sticker... I dunno really, it's almost too cool to do anything with! Stick it on the bumper of my work van, maybe?

I may take you up on those round, clear stickers too... I shall PM when I decide! Thanks Peach!

Back