Orange P7 outlaw build. sort of finished.

I've had a go at it with paint stripper, no difference? I feel like I just need a more aggressive polish? something to take the tarnish off the the exposed nickel.
Any ideas anyone? Autosol isn't doing anything.

In the meantime, I've dug out the original Middleburne red chainrings to clean and they are pretty worn! The granny ring is pointy!

The Screwfix paint stripper worked well for Prezza. The bikes mine now - no sign of rust after a year.

It is a shame to split it, but I don't ride it anymore, I won't get rid of the frame, know one would want it anyway, and if I don't get on with the P7 then I can always go back.
It's a GT750, it was a winter project about 2 years ago, that is on the list of things to get rid of too. Interested?
Ha! No! I have a very dog eared VFR750 that needs some love, plus many bicycles too.....

It’s likely to be lacquer still there because it should shine up well with autosol once the actual metal surface is exposed..... the Screwfix pain stripper has has worked well for me. It important to agitate and dab at it after and hour or so by dabbing a brush over it all again and putting more on..... lacquer comes away easily and any other stubborn bits of it are easily scraped off as it has softened 👍

It’s likely to be lacquer still there because it should shine up well with autosol once the actual metal surface is exposed..... the Screwfix pain stripper has has worked well for me. It important to agitate and dab at it after and hour or so by dabbing a brush over it all again and putting more on..... lacquer comes away easily and any other stubborn bits of it are easily scraped off as it has softened 👍
I think maybe I wasn't patient enough, I'll try again and leave it longer. Thanks.

Just in case anyone is following this, I finally got around to having a proper go at the frame at the weekend and I have ended up, possibly controversially, deciding not to polish the nickel plate! I was rubbing it down with 400, then 600 grit and GT85 to remove the tarnishing and I liked the "brushed" affect that I was ending up with, so I just stopped at that.

It's too late to go back now as I have just applied the decals and I think it looks ok.

It isn't going to win any awards, but I am planning on riding it rather than looking at it so it doesn't need to be a show piece, that's my excuse anyway!

I have a bottle of turtle wax which might protect it enough.

Just need to get the new Ritchey Logic headset in and the I can start building it up. I've acquired a set of Smoke and Dart tyres, which should look good and work well, if I remember rightly?
IMG_20210524_193546.jpg

Love it! That is my all time favourite car, I love an old Porsche, nearest I had was an old beetle. Great comparison though, thanks.

Looks good, I like it 👍 I’m in a similar situation as I’ve stripped mine back due to a lot of corrosion/rust and crazing lacquer and have gone down the highly polished route.... just waiting on getting it back from being clear coated 👍

Last edited:
Back