Anyone using SRAM NX or GX Eagle?

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got my new bike the other day and for the first time i've got a bike with SRAM parts.

The Brakes are Level T (which feel OK and have enough power for XC so I'm happy) and the transmission is NX.

Generally it's good but the when the level T levers are set in the correct position the shifter paddles are too far away from my thumbs and require me to keep moving my hands on the grip to shift., this is a pain and really annoying.
The NX shifter is the built on clamp model and can't be moved, but I know from my lads Boardman team 29 that the old Avid DB Disc Brakes and X7 shifters that the clamp (which i'll confirm fits my level T's this weekend) can be converted to a matchmaker system like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sram-Avid-Ma ... SwOCteg5lJ

Question is will it fit the GX Eagle Shifter like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-GX-Eagl ... 2999007528

It say's it's matchmaker compatible but that's changed now with the new lever types and I don't know if they are interchangeable so I want to be sure before I go ahead and buy both as I don't want to waste the money on the clamp if I actually need new levers to do this.

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Have you tried running the shifter on the grip side of the brake lever?

I have NX & GX shifters. I have had the GX shifter running on an old Hope Tech 3 matchmaker mount, as well as a hope race mount, so, so long as you can convert your current levers to matchmaker, yes, the GX shifter will work.

Be aware there are (at least) 2 GX eagle shifters; normal (one click downshift, multiple (4?) upshift) and e-bike (single up & downshift).

My_Teenage_Self":3bnd2afy said:
Have you tried running the shifter on the grip side of the brake lever?

I have NX & GX shifters. I have had the GX shifter running on an old Hope Tech 3 matchmaker mount, as well as a hope race mount, so, so long as you can convert your current levers to matchmaker, yes, the GX shifter will work.

Be aware there are (at least) 2 GX eagle shifters; normal (one click downshift, multiple (4?) upshift) and e-bike (single up & downshift).

Thanks, good extra info about the single click, the one I linked does 5 upshifts so is the one I want fortunately.

The NX shifter feels a bit low rent compared to my old XT M8000's as it's a lot more plastic so I was looking at the GX to add the alloy upshift paddle for a nicer feel too (plus they aren't that expensive).

Just need to check my levers can take the old matchmaker clamp and then I'm away by the looks of it.

Carl.

My_Teenage_Self":g8hpa97o said:
Are you aware that a 12 speed XT shifter will work perfectly with the rest of your drivetrain...?

:)

I wasn’t no, so they’ve aligned cable pull ratios now then? Still I think I’ll go for the gx and see how I get on, I used to like the double shot downshift of the m8000 but my ocd would let me mix and match to that degree, I’d have to get an xt rear mech too and the nx seems ok to be fair.
The clamp bracket fits so I’m good to go, just need to sell a couple of bits to fund it now.

Yep, 100% matches, you can run almost any combination of 12 speed shimano, Sram, or Sunrace (cassette)

One of my bikes runs the NX shifter, Sunrace cassette and SLX (m7100) rear mech and it works perfectly.

I actually prefer the ergonomics of the Sram shifters over shimano, but the GX is a nice step up in quality from the NX.

My_Teenage_Self":3kp86dug said:
Yep, 100% matches, you can run almost any combination of 12 speed shimano, Sram, or Sunrace (cassette)

One of my bikes runs the NX shifter, Sunrace cassette and SLX (m7100) rear mech and it works perfectly.

I actually prefer the ergonomics of the Sram shifters over shimano, but the GX is a nice step up in quality from the NX.

I looked at the x01 too, nearly fell off my chair, it was about £100 for a single shifter, massive jump up from the £30 gx!
Looked at a gx rear mech too and that was £100.
I don’t fit the built in bar clamp ones but because my lad has the older board man with the x7 and avid db3 brakes I know I can make the gx fit me with a matchmaker clamp. Never thought I’d end up changing a shifter to make it fit me!

Ordered the bits from Decathlon (err, Wow, in stock and competitive!) this morning I found they had the GX eagle rear mech in for £75. I may have to match shifter and mech after all as it's making my OCD twitch! Must be able to get a bit back for the only ridden 3 times NX stuff.

I had to check, switching to GX is marginally cheaper (and I wanted to stick with SRAM and give it a go as I've never had it before).

Think i'm going to order that mech too and sell the NX stuff as I should get a bit back on the shifter/mech set.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back