Any idea what this old frame is?

To me it looks like some kind of European trekking bike. Often trekking bikes have the forward facing brake bosses on the seatstays to allow those built in u-locks the Germans and Dutch favour. Maybe the bb threads are not original and one of those press fit bb's like a Thompson was fitted then locked in with the clamps. The lower top tube to allow easier dismount when fitted with loads of luggage. Dutch cycle tourists do seem to carry everything and the kitchen sink compared to lighter British loading. Interesting steed anyway.

Re: Re:

Frankenorange":3pa1stq7 said:
ishaw":3pa1stq7 said:
Ive seem that bb arrangement before, just can't quite place it. My brain is telling me I saw it on an orange/white fade frame which had something to do with Donohoe and the name scorpion just popped into my head. Could be way wrong though.

The way the frame is now looks to me like it was once a bigger frame but someone wanted smaller so chopped the steerer down an re-welded the top tube lower down. Again, could be wrong but might explain the welds and marks around the seat tube higher than the top tube.

I hope you identify it, looks interesting and I like the rear brake boss position, would be cool to have rearward facing ones on the fork to complete the uniqueness. Orange did some f7 forks that way, and there is always pace.

I am possibly starting to remember something myself. In the last year, or maybe two, i am sure there was the same BB arrangement on a mystery frame over on LFGSS. Unless it was this one, of course!!

Not by me. I think this is the first time photos of it have been posted online. As it happens I've posted it over there too but not much response yet.

Thanks to RVL on LFGSS who sent me the below link (from here!).

I think we can assume its a Dave Yates. Although it doesn't look to be the same model as in the photos. It also explains why the BB is like that.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77081

Great detective work. I'll try and get hold of the photos of it prior to the respray before I do anything drastic to it.

Re:

I still have doubts that this is a Yates frame although im not saying it definitely is not.

I have this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=217508&hilit=dave+yates+two+Wheels+Good Two Wheels Good Yates and there are a number of differences between your frame and the TWG Yates's particularly the seat cluster and definitely the BB shell.

The BB shell on my frame and is an unthreaded tube that is wider than a standard BB to allow the chainstays to be spaced further apart and bring the rear wheel forward.
The BB screws into an aluminium sleeve which is a sliding fit in the BB shell and is secured with the pinch bolts.
Obviously the BB cluster is fillet brazed not lugged.

As LGF mentioned earlier in the thread there is more than a touch of Overburys about the seatube sleeve and the general layout of the toptube, seatstays and heavy fillets so maybe them or the mystery midlands builder that they allegedly subbed a lot of their frames out to.
On the other hand the pin holes in some of the fillets (if it is not just the paint) says homebuild to me.

Regarding the BB pinch bolts, could they be a mod? I know that some of the BB shells of this eara could become a bit baggy.

Dont you just love a mystery frame? :)

Back