Another mystery bike to identify

Brootal

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
First time poster here looking for help identifying a bike I picked up this weekend. I was thinking it would be a lower end Dawes or Raleigh tourer but I'm not so sure, there's a bit more detailing than I'd expect. It feels like a really well made bike but I've no experience so it's hard to tell. It has been repainted so I've not got much to go off but here's a few pics. Any ideas? I took it for a little ride which was not the best idea in the rain as it's currently sporting v brakes and standard levers. Felt like a nice ride. IMG_20210803_174410567_HDR.jpg IMG_20210803_174420156.jpg IMG_20210803_174426848.jpg IMG_20210803_174438385.jpg IMG_20210803_174520732.jpg

Looks like a proper tourer, nicely detailed with the pump pip on the head tube - does it have a chain hanger on the seatstay? Dawes usually had their name embossed on the top of the seatstays.

I can't see anything that could be a chain hanger. I wasn't even sure the one on the head tube was for a pump as I thought it was a bit low but couldn't think of anything else it could be for. Thanks for confirming.

It has the look of a thorn with the fork crown. Ive only ever worked on an audax which has a different seat stay join but the did other 700c frames. Might be worth a dig in their archive.

If it is a thorn then you are one lucky person.

Thanks for that. I see what you mean about the fork crown but I can't see anything with similar lugwork on the rest of the bike. I'll have a Google some older models.

Yep, that looks like a touristique. I picked up my second one of these last night but it is nowhere near as shiny as yours lol

It's a really nice bike. I need to sort out the bearings in both hubs and there's some play in the bottom bracket but that's all fairly standard, hopefully. The only issue I can see is that it looks like someone has put too small a seat post and tightened the bracket enough to slightly deform it. Looks like it's currently got around 26.2? maybe, what should it be and is it worth trying to change it? I could also do with some bars with a shorter reach as these are very stretched out.

Back