Another Kona Hei Hei - build #1p7 #2p9 ++

Re: Another Kona Hei Hei ++BUILDING++

pipmeister":2huo03g3 said:
1bhp":2huo03g3 said:
First and quite major issue, headset doesn't fit! :(
It could be either the Miche HS has an unusually large stack height, the cups aren't quite seated properly (don't think this would give me enough room still) or I have the wrong size forks.....

Does anyone know what the correct P2 steerer length for a 18" frame should be??? Mine is 142mm and it's well short.
Your 18" frame should have a 110mm Head Tube, which will normally accept a P2 with a 142mm Steerer.

The Headset top cup does indeed appear to have a gap where it is not seated correctly, and that Crown Race in the photos looks to have used up a generous amount of millimeters of the total available.

The Rear Mech B Screw Stop doesn't look ideal. You could remove the Mech and see if you can fettle the position of the Stop Screw's tiny thread hole, but I think it is likely snap off easily. Stripping the Rear Mech apart may make the fettling more viable.

Pip.

Thanks as ever Pip!

Good to have confirmation of the steerer length, I figured it was probably something with my install - when looking at photos now just doesn't sit right, i fear the blue part of the bottom cup as come away from the lower bearing holder which is sitting low in the frame, anyway, will have a closer inspection and maybe drop it at the LBS for them to double check - in hindsight I should have gone for the more trusted Tange rather than a silly blue vintage miche....

re. b-screw, agree, I'm going to try threading from the other side so the head is against the frame as first try see if that addresses the issue. But tbh, in my naivety I was unaware I'd bought a Rapid Rise RD! And whilst I'm not adverse to re-learning muscle memory (eTap is fantastic once you adjust), this is issue might mean I just try and swap for a 'normal' m950 mech...

Anyone wanna try a ill-fated 90's Shimano experiment??? :LOL:

BP

LBS Wizards should be able to sort headset... As long as your LBS has someone experienced enough for threaded that is.
Crown race nice and snug? Do you have a headset press and proper crown race setter?

albash82":4p3cxymn said:
LBS Wizards should be able to sort headset... As long as your LBS has someone experienced enough for threaded that is.
Crown race nice and snug? Do you have a headset press and proper crown race setter?

Cheers, yeh they managed to sort it, neither race and cups weren’t quite snug, but still overall stack height was too high for the steerer so swapping out for something less bling.... simple swap so should be sorted by NY I hope. B

Magpiegifts":xjv2vpg9 said:
How's the hei hei looking now Ben?

You have selected some quality parts and eager to see the progress mate

hey Pete, yeh almost there, I'm just waiting for a replacement headset for the Miche one that was too tall! Might even get it done before the year end depending on deliveries....

Re:

Everything on. Just needs some pedals, and cables finalising. Then, a test ride....

AnK9E1qqWg6I-b2V0rlCfd8J2rGljjMZ6qEOsTqXt-2o4AJFcdhy4abP07eXjUmWNsqT0yrVVv_KDGFvWSoqZn24YaAW4Ywqoai5IKnwGd8MQD3e2a01tEojuhc_BrNeGdc7Nhtkyw=w2400

3wTOkxk6kr87rp3NKl0f_8k2QSouoszTslqUOgcCW5hpkV49iL7BjMocrjFYhaYT1FhAhuya04ehZ_W7YVKGnFmTsYtAYtL4OlaIzgig4WE8f8Fx4uzeGUELiSGo0ohg9XIG-Gv2Hg=w2400

Magpiegifts":32uvttf5 said:
It's looking sweet Ben.

Hmmm, few of the bits look familiar....

You happy with it? Cos that's what it's about...

Yeh I am Pete, I've really enjoyed the build, I'm just super intrigued on how it actually rides now!

Back