Another Kona Hei Hei - build #1p7 #2p9 ++

Love this build!

Very interested to know how the Humptulips perform on tarmac and mud. If only they came in black wall!
Thanks mate. Will keep you posted, but hopefully as good as the 700c ones!

they did black wall pre-prod, but not seen anything about them since... I got mine from woods cyclery, they might know more.

For those that this kinda of thing is of interest, weight and width, (tubed, on bontrager selects) below...

Attachments

• 9A0BDCCA-EEEB-4F46-958A-9641C90AC61A.jpeg
    9A0BDCCA-EEEB-4F46-958A-9641C90AC61A.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 37
  • EC2ED0C8-6A73-4982-AC0B-C2DAE9A1EC46.jpeg
    EC2ED0C8-6A73-4982-AC0B-C2DAE9A1EC46.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 37
I like those tyres. Look great!
I just googled and found them at Woods. Wow, they're amongst the least expensive from this brand. 😳😳😳
Those cranks look amazing. Never has blue looked so nice on a bike!

Love this build!

Very interested to know how the Humptulips perform on tarmac and mud. If only they came in black wall!
Thanks mate. Will keep you posted, but hopefully as good as the 700c ones!

they did black wall pre-prod, but not seen anything about them since... I got mine from woods cyclery, they might know more.

For those that this kinda of thing is of interest, weight and width, (tubed, on bontrager selects below...
I like those tyres. Look great!
I just googled and found them at Woods. Wow, they're amongst the least expensive from this brand. 😳😳😳
Those cranks look amazing. Never has blue looked so nice on a bike!
they've never been cheap, but they've definitely gone up about 20% in the last couple of years, either supply/ demand, raw materials or duties...

Not sure any tyres are ever really worth that price tag, but the list to choose from that ticks all the boxes isn't long!

So the first proper spin out in the woods....

80E481EF-6ADA-4269-95C9-5E50B3C4E350.jpeg
083B5BB2-7688-40AF-82E0-74D0983F3F15.jpeg
First impression good, feels comfy but sharp handling. The inversed rear mech, once you get over the muscle memory issues, makes total sense. V brakes aren’t bad at all (in the dry) but my goodness m950’s squeal! Could have been stray sealant on the rims to be fair... the triple is overkill but will leave this set-up for now.

tyres feel great, even on tarmac, only buzz you get is if you’re ‘off centre’ of the tyre. New rim tape and valves and set up tubeless first time! Not a huge amount of clearance on the rear, but feared worse.

The worst bit was my wrists getting used to flat bars again after 20yrs on drops, really achy and uncomfortable, hope that’ll ease. Or maybe I need barends!! 🤪
Still looking for a decent set of Crossmax mk2’s for a wheel upgrade.

But all in, so far, I like! B

Last edited:
So the first proper spin out in the woods....

View attachment 536095
View attachment 536096
First impression good, feels comfy but sharp handling. The inversed rear mech, once you get over the muscle memory issues, makes total sense. V brakes aren’t bad at all (in the dry) but my goodness m950’s squeal! Could have been stray sealant on the rims to be fair... the triple is overkill but will leave this set-up for now.

tyres feel great, even on tarmac, only buzz you get is if you’re ‘off centre’ of the tyre. New rim tape and valves and set up tubeless first time! Not a huge amount of clearance on the rear, but feared worse.

The worst bit was my wrists getting used to flat bars again after 20yrs on drops, really achy and uncomfortable, hope that’ll ease. Or maybe I need barends!! 🤪
Still looking for a decent set of Crossmax mk2’s for a wheel upgrade.

But all in, so far, I like! B
Superb, cracking build, im not sure about the tyres though, sounds daft but they always look overflated to me...

Superb, cracking build, im not sure about the tyres though, sounds daft but they always look overflated to me...
thanks!

yeh i know what you mean on the tyres, the high amber side wall is what does it, makes the tyre look stretched, they're also very round profile, all adds to the balloony look...

Thanks for the ride report, bike is looking so good!

I like the full shape of the Rene Herse 26er tyres, gives a retro MTB great proportions imo.

Back