Another Kona Hei Hei - build #1p7 #2p9 ++

Re: Another Kona Hei Hei **pre-build**

I’ve always used a couple of sprays of isopropyl alcohol to get rubber/silicone grips like these on.

You have to be quick, and get it right first time, but it has the bonus of evaporating very quickly and not leaving any residue, unlike soap etc which can make the grip subsequently move on the bars if you use to much.

DACO":14b5ozg4 said:
But I noticed one more thing. Given that I wanted to see the clear titanium effect from the ti handlebar, this was the best way as the water and soap made it really clear. With other licquid you can risk to make matt effect. Be careful and dose little of soap due to drying.

top tip. ta. BP

ectoplasmosis":x68j74jg said:
I’ve always used a couple of sprays of isopropyl alcohol to get rubber/silicone grips like these on.

You have to be quick, and get it right first time, but it has the bonus of evaporating very quickly and not leaving any residue, unlike soap etc which can make the grip subsequently move on the bars if you use to much.

It's similar as what I wrote when I use the brakecleaner because it works on the same principle. I try it but on this grips you can’t be fast enough because they crack. The point of transparent grips is also that they remain as transparent as possible and the color of bottom base is visible. With alcohols and similar products it becomes a matte effect.

I reckon I spent more time thinking about the make, colour, size and then trying to get hold of these chainrings than anything else on this build...... Still not convinced I got it right. :? Granny-ring should be black. :roll:

KqCYpJJRpddC59cCaFp1Za-InpD_fPnz1PEiydm-vzL83NPHJVEB3mZUE2lM4GENjGa0VX04ynW3qW1PKSIH5YMUPpmjTGmvOhAIWni6L-9ANMxOytwDErZcAILhppp2BBlg_pGe1g=w2400

Nah, looks spot-on with the blue accents.

Although I’d be inclined to sack the rings off and go 1x...

ectoplasmosis":18heg4n6 said:
Nah, looks spot-on with the blue accents.

Although I’d be inclined to sack the rings off and go 1x...

yeh kept on going back and forth on that, I've 1x'd everything else and love it, but figured I should keep something 3x for anything on more extreme terrain or if ever wanted fully loaded and real off-roading... For now at least!

Re: Another Kona Hei Hei ++BUILDING++

Now with a couple of days off pre-xmas, finally got time to start the build. It never goes quite according to plan.....

First and quite major issue, headset doesn't fit! :(
It could be either the Miche HS has an unusually large stack height, the cups aren't quite seated properly (don't think this would give me enough room still) or I have the wrong size forks.....

Does anyone know what the correct P2 steerer length for a 18" frame should be??? Mine is 142mm and it's well short.

P7Wry8OydetWASVUx5I-j4WefDhXJP8jn2VTcex1vJ3dhZR_qPg4ho9lbHsYa8Qv6alsdNucqXuukninIk1uP_eMrJ9KcSMy17rAEzcYTR_yKpvESDzoBPsHUIEWD9GxANyzR-SXZA=w2400

0ejC1yrpR4aYqZY5WbqlqGNvqmbp22DwPtVpTIlqHousErQo21bUYuYolbmFAOqSXIT663cqNxz7CtgatI6g4UFmr1ih6oc2YmEb6qdaQPWWnj46UH_hTMrCnxjkrjmEUSEWub5EKA=w2400

on the up side, pleased with the potential... :D

o7UMOpb2OsMiduxJc6rzn0Xf6_AiKwm1QOKCwkI312xRJhGvGzgXMkJWAXDlBGpl4tnH14ZICRQbwv6oDwEr80_FHqmHstgAbNrJWL1ZcKSz_lLT7id7ILJ5rcYo-oFbu2Jxibv3vg=w2400

SvsXsmBQ57bYinHfGGltKAyOLX8Mu2angKfY-_ytBG-RG0pkDLr9ViVeVrRnlzLTYVTpROLNBnhoWe9cwIQ4AzkkLwM1lcYAVvW7mcUN8y0Z0CRUshhIpZu8A5RGYaFa_qd0YQjzZw=w2400

YgXpVsmNngpuFpTamagvjvb1aDedrJvXGVGfxOC-5EgTu-bezJfHEQNrOiVCXfXOHpe2fwPB3POj3lnYKoIauSX6MJeIoxR-GSl16BxoSTdrmMINiCm_FucBR6aj77ZkbpuWmSXavg=w2400

*yes I know the front tyre is on wrong way. :D

Re: Another Kona Hei Hei ++BUILDING++

1bhp":3t8je6ok said:
First and quite major issue, headset doesn't fit! :(
It could be either the Miche HS has an unusually large stack height, the cups aren't quite seated properly (don't think this would give me enough room still) or I have the wrong size forks.....

Does anyone know what the correct P2 steerer length for a 18" frame should be??? Mine is 142mm and it's well short.
Your 18" frame should have a 110mm Head Tube, which will normally accept a P2 with a 142mm Steerer.

The Headset top cup does indeed appear to have a gap where it is not seated correctly, and that Crown Race in the photos looks to have used up a generous amount of millimeters of the total available.

The Rear Mech B Screw Stop doesn't look ideal. You could remove the Mech and see if you can fettle the position of the Stop Screw's tiny thread hole, but I think it is likely snap off easily. Stripping the Rear Mech apart may make the fettling more viable.

Pip.

Back