Anodising recommendation sought. NE England

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Can anyone recommend an anodising service in NE England? Ideally Newcastle/Gateshead/Washington.

Thanks

Re:

Just send them to Acorn. I live in the NE and it's worth posting down south to them, they do a really good job at a reasonable price

Re:

Another vote for Acorn, I'm East Yorkshire and posted the bits I needed doing, from my Tri Align cantis, he had them done and back to me by the end of the same week!

Really nice chap, good communication, and an absolutely top notch job, I was very impressed with the service, and having never had anodising done before, I wasn't sure what to expect price wise.

However i was very pleased with the standard of the work, for what it cost me!

I just emailed Acorn on a whim as I sit here working, about getting the poor anodising off my San An parts and starting again. Steve emailed back within moments with a very good price that includes stripping off the rubbish work from AA Anodising. Once I get round to it, I'll certainly be "hitting them up" as the young people say.

Steve seems a nice guy. Sensible money too. He is still working and turning things around during this covid malarky. Within about 4 hours of him receiving my parts, he had emailed a pic of them completed and ready to post back.

Sorry to jump in...

Anyone had 3DV done with Acorn? Or anyone else? Since Chris (Rampage / Intrincycle) shut shop and won’t be reopening, I’ve been skeptical of anyone else’s chances since it was only Chris who could do true, proper, 3DV - not ‘purple’.

I have a small stack of bits need doing - strip, polish, reanodize in 3DV. My only option so far is sending to John Grafton to send to his anodizing guy. I want to avoid that if possible.

thanks

[/thread_hijack]

Supratada":t2330h4i said:
I just emailed Acorn on a whim as I sit here working, about getting the poor anodising off my San An parts and starting again. Steve emailed back within moments with a very good price that includes stripping off the rubbish work from AA Anodising. Once I get round to it, I'll certainly be "hitting them up" as the young people say.

What’s wrong with them? Can you post a picture of the problems. Some things can get far worse with being re-anodised, other defects can be in the metal (Middleburn chainrings that are anodised black are a good example) or you need to be aware of certain things on certain items (certain cranks are very prone to bad pitting if not prepared properly).

There's a patchyness to the anodising over many parts, that looks like a dark stain. It will disappear with a wipe over of solvent, only to come back in an hour. That it happens on parts from different manufacturers leads me to believe it is the anodising rather than the base product. One brake lever has little bits of uncoated metal and generally, the colour is dull.
It took over 6 weeks and £70 and from our discussions on the phone, I'm pretty certain they only did the work on the afternoon before sending out back to me.

Back