Anlen Ariel - project for the missus

Double-E F

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked this up today.

Apparently, it's Tange Cr-Mo and looks to be in relatively good shape.
It has a mishmash of parts hung onto it: stx-rc 3x7 shifters, deore dx front mech, deore xt rear and some very decent platform pedals :).
Deore dx wheels on Araya RM-20 rims and a pair of crackin' (literally) Tioga Psycho's..

Have to check the head tube dia to see if I can equip it with a set of Mag21's or Manitou M3's.
Gonna pimp it up for my gf for some gentle rides together, as it seems a tad too small for me.

20210626_184341.jpg

There's not much info to be found about these bikes on the web: only some pics on a Czech site from a while ago of a similar frame with some different parts (lx).

Last edited:
Well, made a start closer inspecting and disassembling, but not much luck: lots of bolts are stuck..
The stem wedge bolt and the headset lock nut: stuck. The cassette lock ring and platform pedals: stuck. So, I left them soaking in good ol' WD40..
I did get the cranks off relatively easy, so I can start cleaning those. And luckily, the seat post also moves freely!
Count your blessings, I say!

BTW, the guy who sold me the bike still had the receipt from when he bought it, second hand :). On August 22, 1998, it cost him 650,- guilders; the equivalent of approximately 300 GBP back in the day, after trading in a white Peugeot racer.. A remark on the receipt said: 'remove rust from chain before pick-up' :D

Last edited:
Well, the cassette lock nut gave in..
20210629_152644.jpg

No movement in the stem bolt though, so I've poured is some additional WD40 from the lower end, when the bike was upside down; let's see if that helps..

The s/n for what it's worth and if you can decipher it.
20210629_152915.jpg
20210629_152716.jpg
There's a nice sparkle in the dark blue lacquer, which I'm using to justify the 'bling' going onto the frame: a bit of XTR, some turquoise, a bit of Ringle.. :cool:

And even though my gf likes the fact that frame and forks match color-wise :), I'm going to fit suspension forks, just to see (whenever I get the stem bolt to move, of course..).

Last edited:
Stripped and cleaned:

20210710_114731.jpg

Weighs a clean 2.3 kgs, ready to build :).
Decided to abandon the 8sp XTR m900 route, due to the wheels sizing, so it is going to be 7sp Shimano mishmash, XT m735, DX, STX (mostly like it was when I got it..). Still planning to use some turquoise bits though and to get the front suspended.

Last edited:
Can I ask wich size is the seat post? A friend just got one with no post and 26,2 does not fit. Thanks

Back