An Orange Prestige to pretend I'm 15 again

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Bit naughty of them not to mention the obvious rust damage. March 92 frame by the look of it, are you going to save it? I had a Prestige in similar condition. Old work mate took it to weld but no idea if he still has it!

Not sure yet, I'd like to save it if I can. I'll drop the guy on e-bay a message see what he says.

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I'm starting to source parts. I've struggled to locate period correct Orange bars and stem but I have an Answer A-TAC or Ringle I could use. I'm not sure yet. They're both around 130mm reach, the Ringle has zero degree rise which I prefer the look of, but my back will thank me for the rise on the A-TAC. It also has a cable hanger.

The Answer stem would also be a better match for the bars which are Hyperlites and currently my only option. I'm happy with those though.

bars and stem.jpg

XT Thumbies are a given. I briefly considered XC Pro until I locked at the prices 😲. I think the rest of the groupset will be Deore DX but I'd like to track down some Dia-compe SS-5 brake levers as that's what I used on my original Prestige.

thumbies.jpg

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I think the levers are sorted. These Shimano bl-mt62 brake levers have cleaned up well. I forgot to take a before picture so you'll have to take my word for it :)

I used "back to black" car bumper wax on the rather faded clamp area. Anyone else use that sort of thing ?

IMG_20210802_202737.jpg

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I got the frame assessed by a frame builder today. Whilst he said he could fix it, he didn't think it was worth doing and spotted what he thought may be a crack in one of the welds (in addition to the pin holes I'd already found). I wanted this project to be a rider so I've decided it's not viable and I'm going to try and find something else 😭 .

The eBay seller had already given me a partial refund so I'm only down by about £20. It's annoying as I spotted a 19" Prestige frame which sold for £70 earlier in the week. I'd have been all over that. 🤷‍♂️