An FSX Inspired 1994 Specialized S-Works M2 (Finished pics page... 16!)

Lovely bike.
If you are still looking for an FSX arch, cokies has some repro ones on the way:

Thanks Slackboy.

And thanks for reminding me to pay my invoice for the FSX arch! Had already hit Kokies up for a preorder.

Can't wait!

Oh, and unfortunately this happened on the first proper ride out in the actual wild.

Like, wild, wild...

IMG_4110.jpeg IMG_3806.jpeg

Luckily it happened on the first uphill for the whole ride. So it could have been worse and even more annoying/dangerous. Pedal flew straight off, mid-stroke! No clue what I botched to make this happen, but now I need to take it in to have the crank retapped and hopefully the threads on the pedal will be fine too. The most annoying thing is the damage to the crank itself. Hopefully it can be cleaned up OK, and isn't toast. Locating a replacement will undoubtedly take forever, so I may have to seek ridable alternatives in the meantime if it's more than just a quick/affordable fix.

Sigh.

Old bikes and rookie mistakes, ey?

Great combo.

Back in the day, we use to use a “helicoil” thread to fix threads that were far too gone to be tapped. Might be worth looking in to as a backup plan 👍

Lovely build and very impressed with how quickly you put it together. After 6 months my projects are usually still at the ‘staring at the frame in the shed’ stage!
Hopefully that crank arm gets sorted out without any more problems.

We definitely need more pics!

Back in the day, we use to use a “helicoil” thread to fix threads that were far too gone to be tapped. Might be worth looking in to as a backup plan 👍

Hey Malt,

Yeah, the LBS already ruled out tapping it and are trying the Helicoil now. They rate the chances of saving it 50/50...

But I'd have given England less than that going into today's game, so, you know, I'm feeling pretty hopeful! ;)

Lovely build and very impressed with how quickly you put it together. After 6 months my projects are usually still at the ‘staring at the frame in the shed’ stage!
Hopefully that crank arm gets sorted out without any more problems.

We definitely need more pics!

Thanks Raidan!

Yeah, you know I didn't expect it to move that quickly either. I gave myself the year when I started it and was pleasantly surprised to come in at around half that. Of course, I didn't expect to spend that much to get there either!

I think once I had the bulk of it, and when things like the wheelset fell into my lap like that, I felt I owed it to myself to push through. Bank balance be damned!

It's also my first build ever, so I just really wanted to ride the bloody thing.

The crank arm cock-up was definitely a heartbreaker in that regard. It's barely gotten dirty!

Anyway, more pics to follow, for sure, when it's back from the shop (I have a new phone, so....). If that crank can be saved anyway! Otherwise something temporary will be going onto I can ride it, and the finished photos will need to wait for however long it takes to replace an original White Industries CNC driveside crank!

Gulp.

Very nice. Remind me what those rims/colour are ? Or do they just reflect better in California sun 🙄

That riser bar looks great, it’s the proportions.

Very nice. Remind me what those rims/colour are ? Or do they just reflect better in California sun 🙄

That riser bar looks great, it’s the proportions.

Thanks Joe! A very lucky find: Mavic 217’s from '94 in the bronze/champagne colour. I forget what they call them in the catalog. Pre-laced with White Industries hubs from around the same time too!

Anyway, gives me a good excuse to post this in this thread too:

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 2.05.23 PM.png

Back