An FSX Inspired 1994 Specialized S-Works M2 (Finished pics page... 16!)

Hell that would be a bloody scary concept, given what tidy m900 mechs can fetch lol 😆

Loving the white industries cranks, this bike is going to look amazing when finished!

Btw in regards to your search for an fsx arch, SRP are in the process of looking into reproducing them, but from a conversation I've had with them on insta, they will be thicker width ways, near the mounting bolt, so as to reduce the risk/stop them from cracking 😉
The images they sent me look bloody good and I'll be putting my name down for at least one, as/if/when they do produce them, so don't despair, there may be a solution incoming in the not too distant future 👌

Wow! This is a great thread - loving your history at the start . . . and that White Industries headset really is a thing of beauty :p ✨

Nice work btw.
One thing I’ve done in the past to make a scratched up M900 look a tiny bit better is to carefully file/sand the scratched edge with fine wet&dry paper on a stiff board, it looks more like a neat hi-lite rather than gravel rash. View attachment 537864View attachment 537865

Why do I feel like the teacher has just brought me to the front of the room and graded my essay on Retrobiking in front of the whole class?!

That does look better though, and a nice idea.

Maybe I'll gather the courage to try/risk it...

Last edited:
Hell that would be a bloody scary concept, given what tidy m900 mechs can fetch lol 😆

Loving the white industries cranks, this bike is going to look amazing when finished!

Btw in regards to your search for an fsx arch, SRP are in the process of looking into reproducing them, but from a conversation I've had with them on insta, they will be thicker width ways, near the mounting bolt, so as to reduce the risk/stop them from cracking 😉
The images they sent me look bloody good and I'll be putting my name down for at least one, as/if/when they do produce them, so don't despair, there may be a solution incoming in the not too distant future 👌

Aye Spud, I've been chatting to SRP too, and have already put my name down for any potential pre-orders! Going to be pricey, but so, so worth it!

Haven't seen a photo myself though, but pleased to hear your positive report!

Kokies has already been a legend and come through with a short-term solution for me in the meantime as well, while we wait for his repro version.

Wasn't paying attention, and that arch I have isn't going to work with canti's is it?

Idiot.

Oh well, more on that in future posts...

So, on the subject of posts...

IMG_0531.jpeg

$32 on eBay? Go on then.

Like everything else, it's far from NOS. But it looks decent after a clean-up and although it's been cut down a little on the short side, it's actually just about perfect for this bike and my arse!

Here's the afters:

tempImage6qL87v.jpg tempImagelc7yH1.jpg

Fresh decals have been ordered from Gil, but I imagine those will take a little while to arrive and I couldn't resist seeing how it looked with the new Flite on it (sorry, I'm not paying original prices)! The Flite came from Rawheelz (cheers again Rhys):

tempImageAQWfhu.jpg tempImagecTXJES.jpg

Not going to lie, the red and yellow hits dotted about the bike please me to no end!

(Oh, and don't worry, I didn't put those FSX's on backwards!)

Anyway, for the seat post clamp I had a couple of newer, basic options in either black or silver, but I really wanted to find something era-appropriate in bronze/champagne. No luck yet (if anyone had anything good floating around their workshops, do let me know) but there's this wonderful place in LA called the Bicycle Kitchen. It's basically a non-profit co-op, run by volunteers. You pay by the hour for the stand and tools (it's super cheap) and they let you have access to any of the spare parts they have floating around, as well as any help and advice they can offer while you work. They also offer free classes on certain things too, and it's basically a real gem.

Shout-outs The Bicycle Kitchen!

Anyway, I popped in hunting for bolts and a few other bits (replacement springs for the brakes), and came across this clamp. It's a slightly darker shade of bronze, but as it's the exact size I needed, it felt like a shame not to at least give it a try:

tempImageWu5Yuf.jpg

The Diacomp cable hanger is another nod to the original JMC bike, and will hopefully do the trick when it comes time to properly install the brakes.

(Hopefully an update on that next week)

I have to say, I quite like this Frankenstein seatpost hack. And, again, really like how the seatpost/binder/clamp combo matches closely with the forks, wheels and chainset.

It's the little things, right?

Back